[gptalk] Re: Sysvol

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 02:41:02 -0500

Minesh,

There are various location of scripts.

1)      Those stored 'within' the ...\SYSVOL\Policies\{GUID}\... GPO folders as
Alan notes.

2)      Those stored in the  ...\SYSVOL\Scripts\... folder (the NETLOGON share).

3)      Those stored on other UNC paths (not on the DC).

4)      Those physically located on the local device.

Calls can be made to run scripts via:

*         The User Account's defined Logon script path (limited to a  single
batch file...and usually this is located in the NETLOGON share which you note
is missing).  I've never tested pointing to a location that is not assumed to
be in the DC's scripts folder (NETLOGON share), but I suppose it's possible.
Better yet, just look at a sample account and see what is defined there. Go to
AD, open the properties of a sample user account, click on the Profile tab, and
look at the "Logon Script" field.

*         Domain Group Policies - And these can point to executables (.Bat,
.Cmd, .Exe, etc.) stored on devices in your domain almost anywhere and includes
(all locations noted above 1-4).

*         Startup locations on the local device (Start menu, Run keys in
registry, Runonce keys in the registry, etc.)...you can use the "AUTORUNS"
utility from Sysinternals (now Microsoft) to display these.

Why I went into detail? Because you need to do some legwork. You stated...

all of the pc's in the domain are still running the scripts... and  the scripts
included a startup script and a login script - all vbs files...

Try and find out exactly "what" is "'still" running and make sure that you know
"where" the devices are looking for them. You may find that are NOT (and
considering what you stated...Could NOT) be from the SYSVOL Scripts folder
(again the NETLOGON share).

Lastly, you were a bit vague on loosing the contents of SYSVOL through "a
series of events"... could you provide additional details? The reason I ask is
that I encountered a similar situation a few years back where, during a DC
upgrade process, the SYSVOL folders were relocated to a different hard drive
(and the client DEVICES knew it). A week passed and the cleanup activities
deleted, not a copy of SYSVOL, but the 'real thing'. That was an all-nighter,
but recoverable... Perhaps something similar happened to you (and maybe a
further look afield might allow you to 'find' them)?

Jerry Cruz | Group Policies Product Manager | Windows Infrastructure
Architecture (http://wia.web.boeing.com<http://wia.web.boeing.com/>) | Boeing IT
Office 425-865-6755 | Mobile 425-591-6491