[gptalk] Re: Software installation - assigned to user - errors

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:38:32 +0100

I would also try to access the file directly, i.e. after the user has logged
on, can you run the Windows Installer package directly from Run or a Command
Prompt? I see that have enabled installation with elevated privs so it should
work regardless if the user is a local admin or not. The elevated installation
is BTW not necessary to install software through GPSI and a way for users to
make them self local admins, but I assume you have your reasons for enabling
this setting, that is out of the scope for this specific deployment.

Also, are all other deployments working, or is this the only one you have?

What is the reason for the difference here in the log events:
* DomainTest\bwa1
* MGT\bwa1

Is it two different users, it looks strange? If you run a WhoAmI after logon,
what is the output?

HTH,

Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com <http://www.specopssoft.com/>
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/

________________________________

Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: Computer 1

The Group Policy client-side extension Software Installation failed to execute.
Please look for any errors reported earlier by that extension.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 108
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  DomainTest\bwa1
Computer: Computer 1
Failed to apply changes to software installation settings.  Software changes
could not be applied.  A previous log entry with details should exist.  The
error was : Access is denied.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 103
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  Domaintest\bwa1

Computer: Computer 1
The removal of the assignment of application LanDesk Silent Install user
assignment package from policy LanDesk Client Computer install package failed.
The error was : The system cannot find the file specified.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 101
Date:  2/27/2007
Time:  6:25:43 PM
User:  MGT\bwa1

Computer: Computer 1
The assignment of application LanDesk Silent Install user assignment package
from policy LanDesk Client Computer install package failed.  The error was :
Access is denied.

***********GPO SETTINGS******************** BELOW

LanDesk Client Computer install package

Data collected on: 2/27/2007 6:29:18 PM

General

Details

Domain

domaintest.com

Owner

DOMAINTEST\domain admins

Created

2/27/2007 3:56:42 PM

Modified

2/27/2007 5:54:56 PM

User Revisions

6 (AD), 6 (sysvol)

Computer Revisions

11 (AD), 11 (sysvol)

Unique ID

{5B38A6CB-5770-4DCC-9F7C-392D750E8016}

GPO Status

Enabled

Links

Location

Enforced

Link Status

Path

OU1

No

Enabled

mgt.gt.buzz/Groups/IT-Group

OU2

No

Enabled

mgt.gt.buzz/People/1 - Mike's Vista Test

This list only includes links in the domain of the GPO.

Security Filteringhide <about:blank>

The settings in this GPO can only apply to the following groups, users, and
computers:

Name

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

WMI Filteringhide <about:blank>

WMI Filter Name

None

Description

Not applicable

Delegation

These groups and users have the specified permission for this GPO

Name

Allowed Permissions

Inherited

DomainReal\Enterprise Admins

Edit settings, delete, modify security

No

DomainTest\domain admins

Edit settings, delete, modify security

No

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

Read (from Security Filtering)

No

NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS

Read

No

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Edit settings, delete, modify security

No

Computer Configuration (Enabled)hide <about:blank>

Administrative Templateshide <about:blank>

Windows Components/Windows Installerhide <about:blank>

Policy

Setting

Always install with elevated privileges <javascript:void();>

Enabled

This setting must be set for the machine and the user to be enforced.

User Configuration (Enabled)hide <about:blank>

Software Settingshide <about:blank>

Assigned Applicationshide <about:blank>

LanDesk Silent Install user assignment packagehide <about:blank>

Product Informationhide <about:blank>

Name

LanDesk Silent Install user assignment package

Version

1.0

Language

Platform

Intel

Support URL

http://www.microsoft.com/management

Deployment Informationhide <about:blank>

General

Setting

Deployment type

Assigned

Deployment source

\\servername\software$\Landesk <file:///\\servername\software$\Landesk>  Silent
Agent\Domain-Security Scanning Agent.msi

Installation user interface options

Maximum

Uninstall this application when it falls out of the scope of management

Disabled

Do not display this package in the Add/Remove Programs control panel

Disabled

Install this application at logon

Enabled

Advanced Deployment Options

Setting

Ignore language when deploying this package

Disabled

Make this 32-bit X86 application available to Win64 machines

Enabled

Include OLE class and product information

Enabled

Diagnostic Information

Setting

Product code

{543898a6-ef9c-4ab6-83fd-5277bc248987}

Deployment Count

0

Securityhide <about:blank>

Permissions

Type

Name

Permission

Inherited

Allow

MGT\domain admins

Full control

No

Allow

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

Read

No

Allow

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Full control

No

Allow

Domaintest\domain admins

Read, Write

Yes

Allow

DomainReal\Enterprise Admins

Read, Write

Yes

Allow

NT AUTHORITY\ENTERPRISE DOMAIN CONTROLLERS

Read

Yes

Allow

NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users

Read

Yes

Allow

NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Read, Write

Yes

Allow

CREATOR OWNER

Read, Write

Yes

Allow inheritable permissions from the parent to propagate to this object and
all child objects

Enabled

Advancedhide <about:blank>

Upgrades

Setting

Required upgrade for existing packages

Disabled

Packages that this package will upgrade

GPO

None

Packages in the current GPO that will upgrade this package

None

Categories

None

Transforms