[gptalk] Setting up GPP in a 2003 Environment

  • From: "Andrew McHale" <Andrew.McHale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 16:11:55 +0100

Hi all,

I'm trying to introduce GPP's into my 2003 network and have come across
some really basic questions which I can't seem to find answers to. I
have read Jamie's GPP run down (including most of the links) and still
couldn't work it out
(//www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/06-2008/msg00111.html).

Our network is made up of 6 Server 2003 SP2 machines and roughly 25 XP
SP3 machines. There is a single Vista Ultimate SP1 machine running RSAT
(my machine).

I have used WSUS to deploy the client side extensions too all machines
(including servers).

Is there a simple guide to introducing GPP's to a 2003 environment?
It'll probably save me asking a lot of stupid questions here. So far
today I've spent 4 hours reading about GPP and all its seemed to tell me
is the theory behind it or how to configure a GPP GPO, not how to get
your 2003 network to the state where it is ready for these new GPO's.

An example of one of my stupid questions is: How can I locally check
that the CSE's are installed? I've looked in Add/Remove Programs (with
updates ticked) and Windows Features but can't see it. WSUS says its
installed but I'd like to manually check.

Also, I seem to remember someone mentioning previously that I need to
copy some templates or something from my Vista machine to a 2003 DC in
order for the new GPP GPO's to work. Is my memory correct and if so,
what and where?

Many thanks

Andrew