[gptalk] Re: Securing directories from Users

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:02:32 -0700

Yes, the Beyondtrust product is a great choice for determining which apps
need admin access to work. But I do agree with Jamie that the problem of
securing the file system becomes much less challenging if the user is not
administrator on their machine. In addition, if they are administrator, and
even the least bit curious, then its important to know that Group Policy is
absolutely worthless in controlling them since they can undo anything that
you impose on them.

So I would definitely the first step of figuring out what you can do to
remove local admin. access from your users, for a lot of reasons. This free
auditing tool can help with that for sure.

Darren