[gptalk] Re: Scripting GPO

  • From: "Northwood, Ian" <Ian.Northwood@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 17:45:11 +0100

Hmmm....maybe I should turn it into a commercial product, since it's generating
so much interest...

Just so we're clear, this script has been designed to streamline our MSI
deployment process. I'm mouse-agnostic and regard 50-odd clicks to add an MSI
to a GPO as tantamount to torture. So, it:

- parses the name of the folder containing the application's MSI
- gets the UNC name for the folder
- creates the group which will contain the application's users
- creates the GPO
- links the GPO to our testing GPO
- removes 'Authenticated Users' from the linked GPO
- adds the application group (and others unique to our environment) to the
linked GPO
- sets appropriate permissions for the added groups

Ultimately, it will then add the MSI to the linked GPO. This is the part which
is not working at present. It will.

Given its quite specific nature, it may not have universal appeal. Having said
that, most areas of functionality are contained in a Sub or Function so it
could probably be re-purposed.

If I do decide to post it, there will be a delay while I edit out
client-specific code. Still interested?

        From: darren@xxxxxxxxxx
        To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 06:49:15 -0700