[gptalk] Re: Script the deletion of unlinked GPOs in a domain?

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 12:37:16 -0700

Jason-
Have you done anything with PowerShell? This is actually fairly trivial
using PowerShell with my free GPMC cmdlets
(www.sdmsoftware.com/freeware.php), as follows:

Install the free GPMC cmdlets and then open the shortcut that gets created
by the cmdlets. Create a text file with the first line of "Name" and the
subsequent lines as the names of the unlinked GPOs you want to
remove:

e.g.

gpos.txt:

Name
My First GPO
My Second GPO
Marketing GPO

Then from Powershell, run the following interactively or from a script:

$gpos = import-csv gpos.txt
foreach ($gpo in $gpos){remove-sdmgpo $gpo.Name}

That's all there is to it!