[gptalk] Re: Script not applicable for local admin

  • From: "Ananth Rajagopal" <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:37:42 +0530

> Hi Ray,

Its been a long time, but I have some doubts regarding the USB storage
device blocking script. Hope you can help out.

We could never implemented the script yet, as there was a policy change and
USB devices were allowed for all. Now we are planning to implement and we
are in the process testing out policies. And in this regard we have some
queries.

The script is as follows...

Dim WshShell,Retvalue
Set WshShell = CreateObject("Wscript.Shell")
WshShell.RegWrite"HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Start",3,"REG_DWORD"
Retvalue = WshShell.run ("%comspec% /c  %logonserver%\netlogon\xcacls
%windir%\inf\usbstor.inf /D everyone /T /Y",0,False)
Retvalue = WshShell.run ("%comspec% /c  %logonserver%\netlogon\xcacls
%windir%\inf\usbstor.pnf /D everyone /T /Y",0,False)
\\tai2dserver\SYSVOL\Tai2D.ent\scripts\subinacl.exe" /keyreg
\system\currentcontrolset\services\usbstor /deny=system
Set WshShell = Nothing
Wscript.Quit

You had suggested to add the following line to the script, we created a bat
file and implemented this. Subinacl.exe was copied to
\\Server\sysvol\scripts folder

"\\Server\sysvol\scripts**\subinacl.exe" /keyreg
\system\currentcontrolset\services\usbstor /deny=system

Two policies were created one for the usb blocking vbs file and the second
one, the batch file to implement the subinacl setting.

The two policies were set at the domain level and scope was set for all
authenticated users.

But now in the test machines at logon we are getting this error.

Script : \\Server\sysvol\scripts\usb.vbs
Line:3
Char:1
Invalid root in registry key
:HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\USBSTOR\Start
Code: 8007005
Source:wshscript:regwrite

What could be causing it? the script is exactly same as shown above! Please
advice!!

Thanks and regards
Ananth.