[gptalk] Re: Scheduled Task Quit Running

  • From: "Tim Bolton" <jsclmedave@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:29:14 -0500

Adding it to the GP over the OU fixed it...  I just had never seen this
before and wanted to pass it on.


On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 3:29 PM, Omar Droubi <omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

>  Hi Tim,
> This isnt really a Group Policy question.
> I would verify that your account has the right to logon as a service-
> specifically.
>  Omar Droubi
> omar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> 650-726-0300
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
> Behalf Of Tim Bolton [jsclmedave@xxxxxxxxx]
> *Sent:* Thursday, October 23, 2008 01:19 PM
> *To:* gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> *Subject:* [gptalk] Scheduled Task Quit Running
>    Jobs have been failing at random times for over three months. To get
> them re-started the Admin person would re-set the password in the scheduled
> task. After that the job would run for awhile then suddenly stop.
> The Advance - Log files showed -
> "Upload3.job" (Upload.vbs) 10/21/2008 11:25:00 AM ** ERROR **
> The attempt to log on to the account associated with the task failed,
> therefore, the task did not run.
> The specific error is:
> 0x80070569: Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested
> logon type at this computer. Verify that the task's Run-as name and password
> are valid and try again.
> I created a Domain Admin account and created a duplicate job to be run
> every 30 min's the same as the original.
> I made sure that the Domain Admins were part of the Local Admin Account.
> Turned on Auditing for failed log on attempts.
> Same issue... It would run through out the day then just stop during the
> later hours. Same entry in the Advance - Log files.
> There was nothing ominous in the event logs that showed an error, warning
> or failed logon attempt.
> I verified that the Domain Admin account was able to logon 24/7 and was not
> restricted to a specific server or PC.
> I also set up a couple of test jobs to run every 5 minutes that were
> running -
> @echo off echo %date% %time% >> c:\SChedTest.log
> netstat -ano >> C:\Netstat.txt
> I did this in an attempt to narrow down the "when" so that I could go
> through the event logs easier and I would see if perhaps another server had
> lost a connection etc.
> After another failed run I noticed that just before the error there was the
> entry "Security policy in the Group policy objects has been applied
> successfully".
> The first thing that came to mind was "Log on as a batch job". So I looked
> in the Local Security Settings and noticed that the Add button for Log on as
> a batch job was grayed out, indicating that it was being set via GP at a
> higher level.
> I found the GP linked to this server and found the list of accounts that
> had been added in -
> Computer Configuration - Windows Setting - Security Settings - Local
> Policies - User Rights Assignment - Log on as a batch job
> I added the Domain Admin account to the list. I ran gpupdate /force on the
> server, and the Tasks started and have been running ever since...
> This was also verified by Darren (Thanks Darren!)
> --
> Tim Bolton


Tim Bolton

Other related posts: