[gptalk] Re: Running a Batch file at user logon.

  • From: hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:48:25 +0000

Anath,

Computer configuration policies should be applied on the OU the computers you
target are located in.

Like User policies should be applied to the OU the targetted users reside in.

regards,
Hans Straat
www.datacrash.net

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:15:41 +0530From: ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxxxx:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Running a Batch file at user logon.Hi
Jacob,From the event viewer we got only the RSoP error, "RSoP could not be run"
anyway we manually ran that script in some 50 systems and now its fine as
internet explorer homepage was set to this mail server, so its coming fine now!
We didn't get time to test further, sorry about that, the domain had to be up
yesterday, its running fine now...Kindly send any more links of your articles!
it was great reading....cleared a lot of things for us....One basic
question.... Should Computer Configuration policies be applied on Domain
Computers or OU of Computers? regardsAnanth :-)
On Jan 29, 2008 4:36 PM, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Jacob,Thanks once again for your great support.We are actually testing this
in a test environment of 6 systems. Except for this one script the rest all are
working fine.We will do the Gpresult at the earliest and will let you know.I
haven't checked the event viewer either, will do that right away.regardsAnanth.

On Jan 29, 2008 2:07 PM, Jakob H. Heidelberg <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

It does sound like you did everything needed to make this work – a restart is
of course needed, but you took care of that you say.

As this point it could be great if you checked the event viewer for any error
on the clients that happens during startup. Later you might have to do advanced
troubleshooting.

You should perform the GPRESULT command to see if the computer "picked up" the
policy at all.

Note – you should probably test such a policy isolated the first time (limited
to an OU with only one computer system within it or alike).

/Jakob

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ananth RajagopalSent: 29. januar 2008 09:17To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Running a Batch file at user logon.

Hi Jacob,Thanks for the article. It cleared a lot of doubts.We did as you said,
but we still couldn't make it work! This how we did it... please go through it
and advice on where we went wrong!In the Group Policy Objects we created a new
policy called " Intranet Mail Srv Route"We edited the policy, we set it as
Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>scripts(Startup/Shutdown)>Startup> we
showed the UNC path to the script.The scripts is stored in
"\\Tai2D.ent\SysVol\Tai2D.ent\scripts\mailsrv_route.bat" this path and this
share is accessible from all systems in the domain. The permission to this
share is "Authenticated Users Read and Execute"Next, at the domain level we
gave "Link an existing GPO" gave this GPO and enabled  enforced and link
enabled.In the Security Filter windows we added "Authenticated Users" and
"Domain Computers" Next we gave gpupdate /forceWe restarted the systems several
times but still the new route is not getting added.Please analyze the steps and
kindly inform us where we have gone wrong. Have we missed anything that you
have told us? :-)Thanks for the help!regardsAnanth :-)

On Jan 25, 2008 3:49 PM, Jakob H. Heidelberg <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi again Ananth,

As stated before it would, in most cases, be better to add the route once and
for all on the clients default gateway. But, you probably have your reasons J

I think there are some basic things about GP processing and filtering you
should take a look at. Maybe this blog will help you:
http://heidelbergit.blogspot.com/2008/01/yes-of-course-you-can-assign-group.html

Earlier you told me you want to "hit" all systems in the domain – in that case
all you have to do is:

1.       Have the script file in a shared directory where Authenticated User or
Domain Computers have Read access
2.       Create the GPO and point the Startup script to the shared script file
(Computer Configuration part on the GPO)
3.       Link the GPO to the Domain Level (you don't have to change Permissions
or anything in this case)
4.       Reboot all machines for the script to be executed (could take 2
reboots)

However – I must warn you a bit: this will execute the script during the next
startup (or two) on ALL domain computers (including servers).

Note to #3: If all of your computers are in the "My Computers OU" you could
just link the GPO here (except computers in the Domain Controllers OU would not
be hit – if they should be hit too you could link the policy to that OU too
and restart them one after the other perhaps).

If this doesn't execute on the clients you must start troubleshooting. Look in
the client eventlog to spot for any errors, use GPRESULT to be sure the GPO
applies to the computers etc. However, I do expect this to work.

Regards
/Jakob

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Ananth RajagopalSent: 25. januar 2008 08:27To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Running a Batch file at user logon.

Hi All,We want to add a persistent route to all systems in 192.168.2.x network
to a server having IP 192.168.3.240.We created a route.bat batch file and
copied this command Route Add 192.168.3.240 MASK 255.255.255.255 192.168.2.254
-pThis batch file was copied to
\\Server.com\SysVol\Server.com\scripts\route.bat folder.The batch file was
placed in Computer Configuration/Windows Settings/ Scripts/StartupWe created a
new group called Harmony_Sys in Builtin folder in that Domain. Created a new OU
called Harmony Systems, moved systems on which this batch file has to be run to
this OU. Made the computer a member of the group Harmony_Sys group. >From GPMC,
We applied this route policy to this Harmony Systems OU. But the new route is
not getting created. Where have we gone wrong, is the procedure
correct.regardsAnanth.