[gptalk] Re: Running a Batch file at user logon.

  • From: "Jakob H. Heidelberg" <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 17:12:04 +0100

Jake,

No - that's NOT possible with WS 2003, it acts the same way as WS 2000.

/Jakob H. Heidelberg

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:59:08 +0530
From: ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Two more queries, I seem to be confused here...

Consider this scenario.....

We have an Account lockout policy.. set at 5 invalid logons. This is in
Computer configuration.

What happens if I link this policy to the OU containing Users? If I give the
Domain Computers in the scope will the policy work for only these users?

or

Should I create another OU of computers and link this policy and in the
scope give the user group?

For a set of "user and computer configurations" to work for a "set of users
and computers" of a particular department should there be 2 OU's? one for
users with user configuration policies linked and the other OU with
Computers with computer configuration policies linked??

hmm.... :-)

On Jan 31, 2008 3:45 PM, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks again :-)

On Jan 31, 2008 3:42 PM, hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx> wrote:

if you have a OU structure and no block inheritance etc configured the
policy will flow down.

OU domain Computers (GPO computer policy apply desktop blabla)
   OU Site Computers (will get the policy)
     OU Site KioskComputers (will get the policy)

as long as they are nested under the main OU :)
But you can do a RSOP planning to see if the OU get's the policy (RSOP in
GPMC)

  _____

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 15:21:24 +0530

From: ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

If the policies are linked at the domain level, irrespective of whether its
a user configuration or computer configuration will it run?

On Jan 31, 2008 3:19 PM, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks Hans! :-)

On Jan 31, 2008 2:18 PM, hans straat <hstraat@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Anath,

Computer configuration policies should be applied on the OU the computers
you target are located in.

Like User policies should be applied to the OU the targetted users reside
in.

regards,
Hans Straat
www.datacrash.net <http://www.datacrash.net/>

  _____

Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 09:15:41 +0530
From: ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx

To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Jacob,

>From the event viewer we got only the RSoP error, "RSoP could not be run"
anyway we manually ran that script in some 50 systems and now its fine as
internet explorer homepage was set to this mail server, so its coming fine
now! We didn't get time to test further, sorry about that, the domain had to
be up yesterday, its running fine now...

Kindly send any more links of your articles! it was great reading....cleared
a lot of things for us....

One basic question.... Should Computer Configuration policies be applied on
Domain Computers or OU of Computers?

regards
Ananth :-)

On Jan 29, 2008 4:36 PM, Ananth Rajagopal <ananth.rg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Jacob,

Thanks once again for your great support.

We are actually testing this in a test environment of 6 systems. Except for
this one script the rest all are working fine.

We will do the Gpresult at the earliest and will let you know.

I haven't checked the event viewer either, will do that right away.

regards
Ananth.

On Jan 29, 2008 2:07 PM, Jakob H. Heidelberg <jakob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

It does sound like you did everything needed to make this work - a restart
is of course needed, but you took care of that you say.

As this point it could be great if you checked the event viewer for any
error on the clients that happens during startup. Later you might have to do
advanced troubleshooting.

You should perform the GPRESULT command to see if the computer "picked up"
the policy at all.

Note - you should probably test such a policy isolated the first time
(limited to an OU with only one computer system within it or alike).

/Jakob