[gptalk] Re: Run Once GPO

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 07:28:02 +1000

Hi Ben,

Preferences to the rescue!

The new preferences support the ability to Apply Once. You could either
create a "runonce" registry preference entry with the Apply Once option
enabled on the preference, or you could create an immediate task (it's a sub
option of a scheduled task preference), also with the RunOnce option to run
it.

There are a couple of things that you would need to consider:-

1.       I suspect the RunOnce registry key won't be honored until you logon
again

2.       It will run asynchronously to the logon process (which I think is
what you are doing anyway)

3.       You need to make sure that the preference is only created after the
software is installed, so you may need to filter the preference based on the
exe file being present

Remember:-

1. The Preference CSE's must be installed on all machines and is supported
on XP SP2 and Vista

2. Preferences can be managed on a 2008 server. You can also install RSAT on
a Vista SP/1 machine to manage Preferences

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)