[gptalk] Re: Restrict access to Drives (Windows 2000)

  • From: Linux'o Mania <linuxomania@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:44:42 +0100 (BST)

Gee, thanks for the quick reply....

  Though I don't think I should restrict NTFS permission from users as I'm not
aware if any application that runs in User Context needs access to C:\. Though
I'm create a notepad alike application in VB which won't have any save/open
option, just wanted to take some expert's advice.
  Are there any other viewpoints of the group?

  Thanks for all your help...

  LP

Darren Mar-Elia <darren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
        v\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  o\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
w\:* {behavior:url(#default#VML);}  .shape {behavior:url(#default#VML);}
        Frankly, I don?t know of any way to control notepad through policy.
And, assuming you?re using the ?Prevent Access to these drives?, I suspect
Notepad uses APIs that don?t respect that policy. I think your best bet is to
control access to the local hard drive through permissions. Even then it won?t
be 100% because you can?t prevent the user from writing to every spot on the
local hard drive, but you can make the obvious places (e.g. c:\) locked down
and harder to get to.

  Darren