[gptalk] Re: Restrict Users From Creating Shares

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 10:20:34 -0500

I thought you could do this through local security policy, but I guess I
was mistaken.

The best option is to use the new, FREE GPP extensions available on
Vista SP1 RSAT or Server 2008. Under [Computer Configuration >
Preferences > Windows Settings > Network Shares], right-click and select
"New > Network Share". Change the action to "Delete" and select the
checkboxes that say "Delete all regular shares" and "Delete all hidden
non-administrative shares". That should do the trick, because even if a
user creates a share it will get removed at the next background refresh
of Group Policy. J

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>