[gptalk] Re: Registry.pol

  • From: "Cruz, Jerome L" <jerome.l.cruz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 09:29:21 -0700

I second Jamie's recommendation.

Since you are missing some of the relevant ADM templates, I think you should
dump the contents of the registry.pol file to text where you can see all of the
settings at once and compare to the report from the GPMC (especially the
section showing miscellaneous registry entries)--besides, this will make it
easier to re-create any of the ADM templates you might want. The downside, of
course, is that you'll be missing anything that had been in the original
"Explain" tabs on those settings.

If you have any questionable settings, compare to the MS provided GPO Registry
settings spreadsheet (latest date 3/9/2008):
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2043b94e-66cd-4b91-9e0f-68363245c495&displaylang=en

Note: Entries in the registry.pol file can not only come from the
Administrative templates, but also from a few other areas in the GPO Editor
(e.g. Certificates, etc.). So to make sure you have everything documented that
you want, use the following steps to dump the data directory from each
Registry.pol file you want:

Copy the registry.pol file to your local workstation (say...to the root of the
C: drive)

Open a CMD shell (Start | Run | cmd | OK)

Enter: regview registry.pol > temp.txt [Enter]

Enter: Notepad temp.txt

Jerry

From: Nate Bahta <nathaniel.bahta@xxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hey all,
>
> Anyone know a good (free) way to edit the registry.pol file from a
> gpo?  There are some settings in a gpo of ours that we no longer have
> the ADM template for and I need to strip them out and recreate the adm

> template, so first I want to strip them out of the registry.pol file.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nate

protection under state and federal law. This information is intended to be for
the use of the individual named above. If you are not the intended recipient,
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of
this information is prohibited and may be punishable by law. If you have
received this electronic transmission in error, please notify us immediately by
electronic mail (reply).