[gptalk] Re: Question on IE Custom Java settings

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:34:47 +1100

Hi Mary,

I don't think it is available. The setting that Darren mentions sets the
following:

Registry Key:Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet
Settings\Zones\2

ValueName: 1C00

Value:00800000 Hex

The control panel then allows you to make the changes and it must save them
under a different registry key, one that Microsoft has not included in the
ADM template.

So your only approach is to find out what key it is, find out what value you
want, then build your own Custom ADM file.

Alternatively you select one of the options that Microsoft offers in the ADM
template, namely High Safety/Medium safety/Low Safety/Disable java.

I must admit that providing a custom option is not much use if you can't go
to the next step. But then again the current ADM file gives much finer
control than what was there previously..

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml>
&f=policyreporter.shtml

  _____

From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>

Subject: [gptalk] Re: Question on IE Custom Java settings

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:46:14 -0700

Mary-

I didn't see a picture attached (it may have been stripped by the list

server) but the only Java settings I know of that are exposed in ADM are in
Computer (or User) Configuration\admin templates\windows components\internet
explorer\internet control panel\security page and then you choose the zone
you want to configure and there is a Java Permissions policy within there.

Darren

Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 09:59:44 -0500

From: "Collingwood.Mary" <Mary.Collingwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi Everyone,

I have a group of users that need the Java custom setting selected within my
IE GPO.  That is the easy part.

What I need to know is where in the inetres.adm for XPsp2 do I find the
settings that I would find if I click on the "Java Custom Settings..."

button in the above picture?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mary Collingwood

We Energies - IT Services