[gptalk] Re: Proxy Setting Sticking

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 11:15:14 -0600

Well if you blank out the settings on the GPO, it should re-apply and
blank them out. However, sometimes IE Maintenance Policy doesn't always
re-process like it is suppose to when you change the GPO. In such a
case, it is usually a good idea to enable the "Process even if the Group
Policy Objects have not changed" setting under "Computer
Configuration/Administrative Templates/System/Group Policy/IE
Maintenance Policy Processing".

Regards,

Jamie Nelson | Operations Consultant | BI&T Infrastructure-Intel | Devon
Energy Corporation | Work: 405.552.8054 | Mobile: 405.200.8088 |
http://www.dvn.com <http://www.dvn.com/>

Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 10:43:10 -0600
From: Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

It's simply because of the nature of IE Maintenance Policy. Security
policies behave the same way. Only Admin Template settings will "roll
back" because they get written to a different area of the registry.

From: dave.sharples@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 14:45:24 +0000

Could you consider using a pac file and putting some logic in there as a
workaround, if a specific machine name is listed, set a proxy, otherwise
don't?

Tad messy probably

From: syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 08:18:07 +1100

Hi Taz,

My understanding was that the IE settings just built INS files
(Install.INS, SecZones.inf, Authcode.inf, Programs.inf ) and then ran
them when the policy is applied. There is no process to back up your old
settings and reapply them when the GPO is no longer applied.

Only Non tattooed Admin Templates have true reversal of settings. Group
Policy Preferences support "Delete setting when not applied" which is
slightly different to "Replace original setting"

Darren may be better informed. If so, I would be interested to hear the
mechanism used by IE to back out settings.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter - including Preference logging(Free)

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml