[gptalk] Re: Problems propagating GPO settings

  • From: "Piet Slaghekke" <pslaghekke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:17:56 -0400

Thanks Darren,

OK,  that clears things up.   Why would these be separate??  It would make
sense to me if the security policies are shown here that the other policies
would also show up.

Where are they stored locally?

What I was trying to do is this:

I have a corrupt computer administration template on my default domain policy
in GPMC. So I thought I would get a good registry.pol  from one of the
workstations and replace the corrupt one in the sysvol folder on the AD  DC .

But I gues that is not going to work.

I am hoping this will solve the problem I am having with  the default domain
policy, that is I have always been able to edit it, now it says that I may not
have the right privileges to edit it even though I have the right privileges
and am able to edit every other policy.

I have tried to run gpmc results wizard against  a computer and user, but can
only get results for users, at the computer level I get the message that the
wmi service may not be running on the target computer, but when I check the
computer, this service is running.   Any ideas what I can do to get the GP
results wizard to work for computers?

Thanks,

Piet

Piet-

If you are looking at the local GPO, you are not going to see any policy
settings except security policy. That is because the Local GPO is its own
GPO-it does not represent the resulting policy from domain GPOs. If you want to
get a true picture of what domain GPOs are being received, run the GP Results
Wizard from GPMC against that computer and user.

Also, the fact that a deployed software package is only showing up in
Add/Remove Programs sounds to me like you Published the package rather than
assigning. By default, Published packages do not get installed automatically
but instead appear in ARP and require the user to install them.

Darren