[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2007 16:50:04 -0800

I just mean any admin template settings under User Configuration. However,
it is not a terrible thing that they don't have ntuser.pol files. There's
probably a perfectly reasonable explanation for it, though it eludes me
right now. As long as, when you remove or set a policy setting to not
configured from configured or disabled, it is getting removed from your
users, then all is right with the world.

From: darren> @gpoguy.comTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re:
Proble> m with GPO> Setting even after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Tue, 27
Nov 2007> 09:32:03> -0800> > > > Tazamal-> > Yes, what we're saying is that
wherever your de> fault user profile is gett> ing built from, that is likely
where the settin> g is stuck. There are two pl> aces this can come from. If
you have a defaul> t profile up in your Netlogon > share on your domain
controllers, then a ne> w user logging into a workstatio> n for the first
time will have their user> profile created under %userprofil> e%\<username>
on the workstation based > on that default profile. If you have> n't put a
default profile under Net> logon, then the user grabs it from c:\> documents
and settings\
> default user> on the workstation that they log onto. > So I suspect,
depending upon your> situation, its coming from one of those > two places.>
> > > Darren> > > >> > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@freeli> sts.org] On B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent:
Tuesday, November 27, 2007 9:2> 1 AMTo: gptalk@> freelists.orgSubject:
[gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Settin> g even after set > to 'Not
Configured'> > > > All, I'm not sure i understan> d the question (a bit slow
like that)... so I > will atempt to answer it. T> hese test users where
created by right clicking > in the OU where I placed > them and creating a
new account (i have also copie> d existin accounts and > the get same
results). These domain users, i guess t> hen when they log int> o an xp
desktop I get their profile from the domain de> fault user profile > (??)
and not the local All Users profile on the desktop > (??). I created t> his
a while back by creating a new user, logging in
> , confi> guring desktop,> logging out, logging in as admin and copying the
profile to> the domain so> mewhere... I can get the details if it helps, i
tend to docum> ent everythi> ng. So are you saying that the domain default
profile is where > this stuck> setting could be? Have i answered your
question? Sorry have been> slow to > emails today...> > > > > > > > From:
darren@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@freelists.> orgSubject: [gptalk] Re: Proble> m
with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not > Configured'Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007>
17:29:04 -0800> > > > Looking at the doc> , it sounds like this setting is
stuck in the user's pr> ofile, as Alan h> ad suggested. How are your new
user's profiles created? M> y guess is tha> t they are created from a
template Default User Profile that > has that pat> h stuck in it.> > > >
Darren> > > > > > > > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx> rg
[mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On B> ehalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAINSent:>
Monday, November 26, 2007 5:00 PMTo: gptal
> k@f> reelists.orgSubject: [gptal> k] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even
after set t> o 'Not Configured'> > > >> Alan, Darren, Jamie.... Your
screen scrapes to try and eliminate any things y> ou > guys may think i
might be doing wrong... I hope these help us find a s> oluti> on. I have
attached a file, its not too big, hope you dont mind... T> hanks > so far on
the quick responses so far. Lozz> > > > > > > > From: dar> ren@xxxxxxxxxxxx:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: Proble> m with > GPO Setting even
after set to 'Not Configured'Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007> 16:23> :32 -0800> > > >
Alan-> > Just to clarify, ntuser.pol should not exist in a> default profile.
It is cr> eated on the fly (both per-user and per-compute> r) for a given
user and, as > you correctly point out, contains the admin t> emplate policy
settings (as we> ll as preferences by the way) for the curre> nt user. The
per-user version i
> s> held in the current user's profile dire> ctory. It is responsible for
the > policy clean up process inasmuch as each> time Admin. Template policy
is pro> cessed, this "archive" file is rea> d and any policy keys found in
it are> removed before the current Admin. Te> mplate policies are
re-applied. So it > is possible that this .pol file som> ehow did not get
the policy in question > added to it, and thus would not r> emove it. But
this seems like a strange sc> enario.> > > > Darren> > > > > > > > > > >
From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@freelists> .org] On
B> ehalf Of Alan & MargaretSent: Monday, November 26, 2007 3:19 PM> To:
gptalk@f> reelists.orgSubject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting ev> en
after set t> o 'Not Configured'> > > > Can you try removing the registry>
key manually, then reapplying the policy > and see if it comes back?> > > >
> What I suspect you may have done is got your default Profile screwed up. >
Th> ere are two files in
> the Default profile, the NTUser.dat file which con> tain> s the registry
keys that are in use, plus the NTUser.Pol file that st> ores a> ll of the
non-tattooed polices that are to be removed. If these get> out of > synch,
you can have the case that NTUser.dat contains a registry > key but NT>
User.Pol doesn't contain the key for removal. This will happen > if when
buil> ding the default profile, you copy across NTuser.dat but not >
NTUSER.POL> > > > This means that new users inherit a registry which contai>
ns the key but the> NTUSER.POL does not contain the key to remove it as par>
t of tattoo process> ing. However, once you manually remove it, it wont com>
e back. While the bes> t way to fix it for new users is to rebuild your Def>
ault profile from scrat> ch, if this is the only error, you can simply remo>
ve the entry from the NTU> SER.DAT. Existing users are somewhat harder to f>
ix. I suspect the only way > is a batch file that removes the key on a once>
of basis. Th
> e trouble is tha> t you need to leave it running until all pro> files on
all machines have been> fixed., > > > > Alan Cuthbertson> > > > > > > Policy
Management Software:-> > http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref>
=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml> > > > ADM Template Editor:-> > http://w>
ww.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml> > > > Po>
licy Log Reporter(Free)> > http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=active>
dir&f=policyreporter.shtm> l> > > > > > > > -----Original Message-----Fro>
m: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-> bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Be>
half Of Nelson, Jamie R Contr 72 CS/SCBAFSent: T> uesday, 27 November 2007 >
4:21 AMTo: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] R> e: Problem with GPO Set>
ting even after set to 'Not Configured'> > > > Then, as Darren suggested, y>
ou need to run a RSoP on that system/user> > and ensure you're not getting >
it from somewhere else. Eliminate that> > possibility first.> > > > Also, a>
re you sure GP
> is processing correctly on the system? When you> > run your > RSoP, check
and see if any GP related events occurred.> > > > Regards,> > J> amie
Nelson> > > > -----Original Message-----> > From: gptalk-bounce@freeli>
sts.org [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]> > On Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAI>
N> > Sent: Monday, November 26, 2007 11:12 AM> > To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> >
> Subject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> > >
Configured'> > > > Hi Jamie,> > > > Yup... gave that a go.. rebooted few ti>
mes etc but still that setting is> > coming down and shown in the user regi>
stry hive. Within the GPMC> > settings view of the defdompol, there is no s>
ign that this setting> > (ForcePST) is now set... and the only GPO applied >
to this User is> > defdompol... > > > > Thanks for you reply> > > > Loz > >>
> > > Subject: [gptalk] Re: Problem with GPO Setting even after set to 'No>
t> > Configured'> > > Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 10:58:51 -0600> > > From: Jami>
e.N
> elson.ctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > > > > Have yo>
u done a 'gpupdate /force /target:user' from the command-line?> > > Sometim>
es if you forcefully reapply the policy it will correct things> > > like th>
at.> > > > > > Regards,> > > Jamie Nelson> > > > > > -----Original Message->
----> > > From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@freelists>
.org]> > > On Behalf Of TAZAMAL HUSSAIN> > > Sent: Sunday, November 25, 200>
7 5:36 PM> > > To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> > > Subject: [gptalk] Problem with>
GPO Setting even after set to 'Not> > > Configured'> > > > > > Hi Guys,> >>
to> > > get some exposure to this problem... hoping someone can shed some>>
> light.> > > I have tried to describe exactly what is going on being a de>
scriptive> > as> > > possible. If I get an answer on the on the Microsoft f>
orum i'll post> > it> > > over to here if anyone is interested.... >
> > 2 pos> ts altogether:> > > > > > Hey Guys,> > > > > > > > Okay, although
I have no> t found an answer yet, I *think* I have made> > > some > > > >
progress and> am on the right lines, again if anyone has any comments> > >
please > > > > > do let me know.> > > > > > > > .... after a lot of googling
everything wa> s pointing to the fact> > that> > > I MUST > > > > HAVE at
some point appli> ed the Outlook ADM to the def-dom-pol with> > the> > > > >
> > setting for > 'default path for PST Files' pointing to my network> > >
location. > > > > > After applying it I must have ripped out the ADM
template from the > > > > > def-dom-pol and applied it specifically to the
OU where I wanted the> > > G> PO to > > > > apply. Hence this *probably*
caused GPMC to give the output o> f> > > 'display names > > > > for some
setting cannot be found....'> > > > > > > > > So... in an attempt to correct
this.... Within t
> he def-dom-pol I> >> added> > > the > > > > Outlook ADM template back
in... And set the setting> for the PST path> > > to 'not > > > >
configured'.. . Rebooted an XP clien> t, logged in with a new user but> > >
still > > > > outlook is pushing the > path of the PST to the network store
when> > > configuring a POP3 email acc> ount.> > > > > > > > The strange
thing still is even though I have configur> ed the setting> > > now to > > >
> 'Not Configured' (and hence it does not > now display in the GPMC> > >
settings tab > > > > for the def-dom-pol GPO a> s being set at all) AND the
ONLY policy> > that> > > is > > > > applied to > Users (for new users
created after this change as well)> > is> > > the > > > > > def-dom-pol
ONLY, the users registry hive is still showing the> > netwo> rk> > >
location path in the > > > > ForcePST registry key under > > > > HK>
CU\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\Outlook..... which I thought> > > was>
a > > > > protected registry area that does
> n;t suffer from tatooing i.e...> . is> > > this > > > > tatooing? > > > >
my> > > depth... > > > > any steer > would be great. All i am looking to
achieve is for users> > > (not within a> specific OU) default outlook PST
path to point to where> > it> > > would h> ave pointed if I didn;t mess with
this setting... its as if the> > > defaul> t PST location value is now the
network path if I leave this> > > setting t> o 'Not Configured'> > > > > > >
> lozza > > > > > > > > > > > > 'lozza' wro> te:> > > > > > > > > Hi Guys,>
some help:> > > > > > > > > > In AD i have an > OU with a GPO applied. This
GPO, as well as other> > > user> > > > > settin> gs, sets User
Configuration\Administrative Tools\Microsoft> > > Office > > > > > > Outlook
2003\Miscellaneous\PST Settings\Default location for PST> > >> files.... to
> k location (I dont have any other option!).> Now my> > > understanding was
is> > > linked to... > > > > > and it does, jus> t fine, was happy until
today> > > > > > > > > > However....> > > > > > > >> > > When I create a new
user in AD, and place him in any other OU that> > > > does not > > > > >
have this GPO linked to it (and only the Default domai> n Policy),> > > this
setting > > > > > still applies to the user when confi> guring outlook...
it> > shouldn't,> > > should it?> > > > > > > > > > So...> I went into GPMC,
clicked the OU the user sits in on the> > left> > > hand> side, > > > > >
clicked 'Group Policy Inheritance' tab on the right pane a> nd see> > > that
ONLY > > > > > the Default Domain Policy is being applied.> .. which it
should> > be...> > > good> > > > > > > > > > So... I clicked on> the Default
domain policy on the left hand side> > > pane of > > > > > GPM> C and on the
right h
> and side pane clicked the settings tab> > which> > > sh> ows me > > > > >
all configured settings within this GPO. AND THERE IT WAS!> under> > > User
Settings> > it> > > says:> > > > > > > > > > 'Display names for som> e
settings cannot be found. You might be> > able> > > to > > > > > resolve >
this issue by updating the .ADM files used by Group Policy> > > > > > > Man>
agement' > > > > > > > > > > and directly under that it specifies:> > > > >>
rcePSTPath> > > > > State: \\Network File server where PSTs are stored in t>
he GPO its> > > configured > > > > > for...> > > > > > > > > > So why is th>
is setting, that is set in another GPO specifically> > > linked to one part>
icular OU also in my Default Domain Policy? When I> > > > > open the defdom>
pol to configure it I dont see the template that> > sets> > > this setting,>
in fact
> I dont see any of the Microsoft > > > > > Office stuff in the defd> ompol
GPO as I didn't add any additional> > > administrative templates to t> he
Default Domain GPO.> > > > > > > > > > Truly confused and a bit worried >
that I've messed my default> > domain > > > > > policy... does anyone know >
what i;m talking about?> > > > > > > > > > Lozz> > > > > > > > > __________>
rived - Windows Live Hotmail> > > <http://www.newhotmail.co.uk> > > > *****>
> > by logging into the freelists.org Web interface. Archives for the list>>
> are available at //www.freelists.org/archives/gptalk/> > > > > ****>
********************> > > > > > > > ________________________________> > > >>
Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live. Pimp My> >
> Li> ve! <http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk> > > ***********************> > You
can un> subscribe from gptalk by sending email to gptalk-request@freelist>
s.org wi> th 'unsubscribe' in the Subject field OR by logging into the
freeli> sts.or> g Web interface. Archives for the list are available at
http://www.fr> eeli> sts.org/archives/gptalk/> > ************************> >
local knowledge wit> h > BackOfMyHand.com> > > > > > > > > > The next
generation of MSN Hotmail > has arrived - Windows Live Hotmail> > > > > > >
> > > Do you know a place l> ike the back of your hand? Share local
knowledge with > BackOfMyHand.com> >> > > > > > > > > Do you know a place
available at http://www.fr> eelists.org/archives/gptalk/>

  _____

Get closer to the jungle. I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!
<http://entertainment.uk.msn.com/tv/realitytv/im-a-celebrity/>