[gptalk] Re: Office Blockage...

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 10:59:00 -0700

Deepu-
You will be hard pressed to find a perfect solution for every scenario you
have. Security is a combination of elements. You need to ensure first that
users are not administrators on their workstations. Next, you need to ensure
that the file system and registry are as secure as possible, so that it is
difficult for the user to move things around or change things to their
liking. Finally, you need to control what code is installed and run on a
system. Each of these lines of defense requires a fair bit of work and even
then, if your users need to run a lot of applications as a function of their
job, you will find it hard to reach your goal.

But, for the purposes of this discussion, let's try to get you closer. First
off, is cmd.exe allowed to run? If not, then scripts won't run. Also, when
you create SRP policy, MS adds some default registry path rules that
basically allow core Windows components and anything in Program Files to
run. Did you leave those rules in place or delete them?

If you want to control what the user can run, but, as you say below, "it's
not feasible to block all exe's as user may have to install some files or
they may need some exe to run externally..." then you are cross-purposes to
your goal. If the user can install code willy-nilly and that's ok, then you
will never be able to successfully control what they can do.

At this point, you might want to look into 3rd party products that perhaps
have more flexibility than SRP. For example, while I haven't used it, I know
that Bit9 (www.bit9.com) helps in this area.