[gptalk] Re: Null SID and GPO processing

  • From: Neil Berry <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 13:07:42 +0100

That's a thought - thanks Martin !

Martin Hugo wrote:
Are they cloned machines? Try running Newsid from sysinternals on the affected machines.

Martin T. Hugo
Network Administrator
Hilliard City Schools
Tel: 614-921-7102
Martin_Hugo@xxxxxxxx

*gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
*Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone had come across this issue before.  I was
having some problems with GPO processing - software installation and
noticed that several workstations were members of a Group called NULL
SID instead of expected groups (authenticated users etc)

I seem to get various GPO processing problems with these (obviously
because they are not in authenticated users group and can't read the
policies)  Re-adding the machine to domain solves initially but then it
will end up joining the Null SID group again.  DCs seem fine and
machines can connect to Domain and authenticate etc - ran dcdiag, nltest
etc.

Any thoughts or clues would be  be most welcome.   At the moment my only
fix is removing and readding to domain which fixes temporarily.

Thanks for your thoughts - I am guessing it must be some sort of
intermittent network problem.   Found a little on web on this issue but
no real fix or cause so far.

Thanks
Neil