[gptalk] Re: Moving Test Policies into Production

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 22:11:41 +0200

Jack,

perhaps I misunderstand, but when you say "rename", do you mean like hacking
the GUID or changing the display name? Because GPOs are not identified to the
system by (display) name, but rather GUIDs, and just changing the display name
will not do anything different to your clients.

The by far best method to accomplish the migration of GP settings from a
testing environment or OU to a live environment, is to set up a programmatic
process using the GPMC APIs (instead of doing it manually) that you can access
from for example from VBScript, PowerShell or a regular programming language if
you prefer that, this way you can move GPOs from test to live really fast and
reduce the chance of human errors, over and over again.

Here is the MSDN docs for GPMC:

In this case you  describe you could either manage the links, i.e. remove them
from the old GPO and add to the new GPO using IGPMGPOLink GPMC interface or
what is normally the case when moving from  test to live environment, use the
backup/import methods (this is actually something you can do from the GPMC GUI
directly if you do not like the more automated approach, select your test GPO,
right click, back it up and then select your live GPO, right click and do an
import). Be vary though since that basically means that you will replace all
the settings in the GPO you import into. It is not possible to only move
certain settings but rater it is a all or nothing approach. Consider yourself
warned, I have seen some nasty things in really large environments caused by a
few, not to well prepared, mouse clicks... The same warning goes for doing it
using the APIs, but the organizations doing it this way normally have a more
process oriented way of working with Group Policy.

When the TechNet magazine downloads are uploaded for the May issue, see the
link below, there is actually a number of GP management samples using
PowerShell that you can download and one of the functions is named CopyGpo()
that would fit your needs pretty well.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/technetmag/codeDownload.aspx?year=2007

But if you are still a  VBScript/COM guy, there is actually a WSH script that
comes with GPMC that does the exact same thing, the script is located here
%ProgramFiles%\GPMC\Scripts\CopyGPO.wsf (on a computer with GPMC), and is
pretty straight forward to use.

HTH,

Thorbjörn Sjövold

Special Operations Software

www.specopssoft.com <http://www.specopssoft.com>

thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/
<http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/>