[gptalk] Re: Installing Applications Fails[Scanned]

  • From: Thorbjörn Sjövold <thorbjorn.sjovold@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 23:49:04 +0100

Darren,

are we talking about the same thing, I do not follow you? Unless something is
wrong with the ACLs of SYSVOL or the computer account you would be able to do a
DIR for example from a command prompt running with LocalSystem credentials.
Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant but since there seems to be some general
confusion about what happens when the LocalSystem accesses the network, a short
summary could be cool for those of you that are in the mood for some weekend
geek reading; yes I know it isn't weekend yet, but here in Sweden we are at
least getting very close to Friday :).

LocalSystem (or Network Service) is the machine account (or at least have the
NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID in its token), and can access to the network (unless we
are talking NT4 where the SYSTEM credentials accessing the network resulted in
a Null Sessions, basically as no user at all), no need for impersonfication,
i.e. any process running as LocalSystem access the network as
<domain>\<computername>$. Although there are some strange stuff going on under
the hood for computer accounts, for instance is the LocalSystem Kerberos
Tickets not populated with the SIDs of the groups as a normal user token is,
add your computer to a some groups, reboot, start a command prompt as
LocalSystem (described at the start at this thread) and run a WHOAMI /GROUPS
and you'll see that the groups are not there. But in the end this is not
something one need to worry about, this is taken care of during the network
access, the important thing is that it is possible to access the network as
Local System without any extra effort, besides the proper permissions of course
on the network resources). I have done this both from Services and Group Policy
Client Side Extensions I've written, all running as LocalSystem, so I am sure
it works :)

Since GP is running inside the Winlogon process, prior to Vista, and Winlogon
is running as LocalSystem this is exactly the same scenario. If we forget that
Winlogon.exe/Userenv.dll handles all the profile stuff etc that obviously
requires impersonification if the user logging on, my guess is that any
impersonification calls being made during actual GP processing is since
Winlogon uses the users token when processing GP for users, but if it really
also impersonate during computer processing then my guess is that it is because
the GP team wanted the code to be identical for users and computers,
impersonating yourself is not forbidden (although the effect is of course not
very drastic since it is like going to a masquerade and dress up as yourself ),
and thus they get more readable code instead of doing some stuff for the user
and some for the computer. But since I do not have access to the Windows source
code :( it is only my qualified guess.

Best,
Thorbjörn Sjövold
Special Operations Software
www.specopssoft.com <http://www.specopssoft.com/>
thorbjorn.sjovold a t specopssoft.com

Download our free tool for remote Gpupdate with graphical reporting,
http://www.specopssoft.com/products/specopsgpupdate/