[gptalk] Re: GPO's and Office 2007

  • From: "Michael Pietrzak" <mpietrzak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 17:17:12 -0800

Hi Robert,

I did try to use that line in the config.xml to reference the MSP but
seemed to have no effect as I configured the MSP to not install Groove,
OneNote and InfroPath but yet they were all still isntalled.

Yeah, it is pretty damn frustrating. Looks as if MS is pushing more and
more people to SMS and the new System Center Essentials (scaled down
SMS)

Perhaps Darren or Omar will get a chance to test this process and they
will have more insight for us.

Let us know if you find anything out Rob.

Michael

________________________________

Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 9:59:31 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Failed to apply changes to software installation settings. Software
changes could not be applied. A previous log entry with details should
exist. The error was : Fatal error during installation.

Although the entry in the event viewer imediatly previous to this was

Event Type: Information
Event Source: Application Management
Event Category: None
Event ID: 302
Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 9:59:30 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: PCITADMIN
The install of application Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 from
policy Office 2007 Depolyment (Mel) succeeded.

Once i log on a whole raft more of MSIInstaler events - pretty much one
for every component of office s generated.

If MS can make the AD use their new "bells and whistles" setup.exe as
well as normal msi installs it would certainly help..

Ohh and a side note - i also tried to deploy Windows Instant Search and
what do you know - no MSI for deployment... only .exe's

Rob

On Thu, December 7, 2006 11:57 am, Michael Pietrzak said:

Shoot, sorry. I seem to have repeated a couple of the same points you
made. One big problem I am also seeing is that the 2007 deployments
won't upgrade\remove the existing Office install. You can log in and
find both the 2003 and the 2007 install sitting there side by side.

Comedy.

Michael