[gptalk] Re: GPO Processing in VISTA - the whole new can of worms....no adms, now just admx files

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 15:05:57 -0700

Nope, ADMX is only supported in Vista's version of the GPMC and GP Editor

Interestingly the storage of ADMXs is totally different than ADMs. ADMXs can
be stored either on the local workstation where you edit policy or in the
"Central Store", which is basically a directory in SYSVOL. If you are
editing existing GPOs from Vista, the ADMs stored in the GPT in SYSVOL are
ignored in favor of the new ADMXs either local on the Vista workstation or
in the Central Store, if it exists.

If you go to a "Vista-ized" GPO from XP, you will only see the XP
settings--the Vista ones will not be there, even though the settings
themselves may be in the GPO. So, my advice for people is, once you
introduce Vista, either create a whole new set of GPOs for Vista only, or
only manage your GPOs going forward from Vista workstations.