[gptalk] Re: GP make printing impossible

  • From: Craig Meyer <craigmeyer8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 13:32:56 +0200

Hi Steve

Thanks for the feedback - i was hoping there is another way as i have
absolutely no scripts running on my network so i don't know them at all. Is it
easy to learn them or are they quite difficult?

BTW i just got a phone call from a technician that wants to access the Control
Panel as the domain user and cannot. Same story like my previous post. Is my
only way out a script?

Craig

Subject: [gptalk] Re: GP make printing impossibleDate: Fri, 21 Sep 2007
12:09:18 +0100From: Steve.Rochford@xxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A common technique is to do this with a logon script – the printer is specific
to the user so adding it as admin won’t put it there for the next user.

Assuming you have a vbscript logon script then adding something like:

Set oNetwork=createobject(“wscript.network”)
oNetwork.addwindowsprinterconnection “\\server\printershare”
oNetwork.setdefaultprinter “\\server\printershare”

will do the job – obviously, you need to add the proper server and share name
and you’ll need logic to determine those (could be based on user or computer or
both)

There’s loads of examples in the MS script centre

If you’re running 2003 R2 then you can do it with group policies -
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsVista/en/library/ab8d75f8-9b35-4e3e-a344-90d7799927231033.mspx?mfr=true
 has some details. Although it’s in the Vista library it’s nothing to do with
Vista at all!

Steve

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Craig MeyerSent: 21 September 2007 11:49To:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] GP make printing impossible

Hi all

I have a GP that prevent users to add a printer so obviously if i want to
install a printer i need to log off and on as the admin. When i do that i can
install the printer successfully but when i log back on as the user i cannot
see the printer. How do i overcome this

BTW , what i then did was to make the user a domain admin and i could install
the printer but obviously that is the wrong way. I also do not want to disable
the GPO as they delete and change settings in their printer setup.

Win xp pro and Win 2003 Server

Craig Meyer  "He had no servants - yet they called Him Master, no degrees - yet
they called Him Teacher, no medicine - yet they called Him Healer, no army yet
the Kings feared Him. He won no military battles yet He conquered the world. he
commited no crime yet they crucified Him. He was burried in a tomb yet He lives
2day....”

Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW! Click here!
Download the latest version of Windows Live Messenger NOW!
http://get.live.com/en-za/messenger/overview