[gptalk] Re: GP apply per machine?

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 08:24:21 +1000

Hi Darren,

I think your second paragraph may be open to misinterpretation :-)

What you mean is "Since it is not working properly you must have the
loopback GPO .." rather than "If you want it to work properly you must have
the loopback GPO.."

While there are multiple ways of doing it, the least confusing way is to
have a LoopBack GPO which has a machine setting to enable loopback
processing plus the User settings that you want applied when on the specific
machine. Make sure that this GPO is linked to the OU (or parent OU's)
containing the machines you want to be affected. Make sure that it is NOT
linked to the OU (or parent OU's) containing the Users. This will mean that
all Users that log on to all of the machines will get the settings. You can
use security filtering to limit the machines that enable loopback processing
and the users that get the settings. i.e. if you remove Authenticated users,
you can then add the Machines that get loop back processing. You can then
add specific Users (or Domain Users) to control who gets it. In short, the
machine AND the user must have the "apply policy" setting.

One further thing is that Loopback processing can be set to MERGE or
REPLACE. MERGE  means "give the user his normal policy settings then add on
these settings". Replace says "just give him these settings". My personal
preference is MERGE, although it takes a bit more processing.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software:-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>