[gptalk] Re: Disadvantages of Tattooing.

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 12:52:01 -0800

Alan-

Good points. However, I am not clear on one thing that you say below,
"removing these Policy keys will reenable what the user had in the
non-policy key". This implies that previous key values are somehow cached
which I have never seen. Typically if a policy key is removed, its value is
simply deleted. I have never seen any restoral of a key's previous value
(unless that value was to not exist!). What I have seen get restored are
security settings (i.e. non-Administrative Template stuff) on the local
machine when a policy no longer applies to the machine. But that's specific
to security settings.

Also, you're correct on the observation that making changes to policy keys
outside of GP effectively kills the non-tattooing behavior of those keys.
It's a subtle yet irritating behavior.

Darren