[gptalk] Re: Determining if Group Policy Deployment is right for us....

  • From: "Nelson, Jamie R" <Jamie.Nelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 17:03:30 -0600

Well for starters, you'll want to make sure you package the .dll files
in an MSI installer package so that you can deploy them through Group
Policy. Basically what would happen is that an administrator would need
to create a new GPO to deploy your software package. In your case it
sounds like you would want to assign it to computers so that it is
always installed.

As far as upgrades are concerned, Group Policy doesn't know what to do
unless you tell it. You assign a new package and configure it so that it
upgrades the previously assigned package. Whenever a system falls out of
scope of the GPO, you can also have it configured to automatically
remove the software.

Third party tools are not necessarily centered around Group Policy. Most
are completely separate products and offer much more flexibility and
better reporting, however, most also require a client agent on each
workstation. Group Policy doesn't but require an agent, but it is
reliant on the machine rebooting if you have assigned a package to a
computer. This kind of limits your ability to reach and touch machines
quickly.

Suggest you read Darren Mar-Elia's whitepaper on Group Policy software
deployment. He is the moderator of this list and a highly respected
Group Policy guru. His paper is available from the following link:

http://www.sdmsoftware.com/registration.php

Jamie Nelson | Systems Engineer | Systems Support, Information
Technology | I N T E G R I S Health | Phone 405.552.0903 | Fax
405.553.5687 | http://www.integrisok.com <http://www.integrisok.com/>