[gptalk] Re: Determining if Group Policy Deployment is right for us....

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:40:32 -0600

Matt-

Lots of questions in there but I would say that GP will almost meet your
requirements. The only one that really stands out is the need for no
reboots. In general, if you deploy per-computer, then you need to reboot for
a machine to pick that up. Same goes for per-user installations requiring a
user to re-logon to pick up the package.

Otherwise GP fits most of your requirements. You would need to package your
DLLs as an MSI package, which is not a big deal if your company developed
them, or even if they haven't with packaging software.

As for updates, you can use GP to create "upgrade relationships" between,
for example, v1 and v2. The package in v2 has to know how to handle
upgrading v1 but otherwise, it works as expected and it allows GP to handle
when to update an application.

As for 3rd party products, there are many, many software distribution
solutions out there. I would say that only a small subset of them rely on
GP. One of the notable ones is SpecOps Deploy. But you have many, many 3rd
party distribution solutions out there to choose from.

Darren