[gptalk] Determining if Group Policy Deployment is right for us....

  • From: "Matt Walker" <Matt.Walker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 16:57:31 -0500

Hi all,

We are currently in the process of creating a new application which will
house all the logic on a server and have workstations hit that.  The
workstations will need some .dll's, etc. installed to allow the
integration with some other third party applications.  It is the desire
to have these components installed on the workstations with the
following points in mind:

            Ease of installation with little to no user interaction

            No need to have admin rights on the workstation

            No need to reboot the target workstation

            Ability to self update

            Ease of uninstallation.

With these in mind, will Group Policy work for us?  I know it may be
difficult to determine without knowing the actual footprint of the
workstation components.

In reading some Group Policy information, a question does arise for me.
What method would I use since this package that will be installed will
not really be a functioning application, but simply unrelated
components?  There are no real entry points to this 'application' that
would be installed.  Would I assign this package to a computer/user?  In
other words, this package should be installed always.

Then, down the line, we would want to be able to upgrade, remove, etc.

If upgrading, how does that actually work?  I know how to upgrade simply
using the Windows Installer methodology, but how does that fold into
Group Policy.  In using group policy for this purpose, would I just be
telling the system to install this .msi then, based on its internal
codes, upgrade accordingly?  Is there any way to detect when an update
is needed or is it simply the job of the Administrator to monitor this
and employ a new policy to push the update?

Any help is greatly appreciated so I thank you in advance.

I read up on third party deployment tools and many seem to be wrapped
around Group Policy in some way.  Is this an accurate statement or do
many tools handle pushing software differently?

Again, thanks for the help!!

Matt Walker
Installation Development
Synergis Software
472 California Road | Quakertown, PA 18951
Phone: 215.529.9900, x192 | 800.836.5440
Fax:    215.536.9249
http://www.synergis-adept.com/
Simple, Powerful Document Management
This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the
individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that
is confidential, subject to copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are
not the intended recipient you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
copying or distribution of this message, or files associated with this message,
notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your
computer. Messages sent to and from us may be monitored.
Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. Therefore, we do not accept responsibility for
any errors or omissions that are present in this message, or any attachment,
that have arisen as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is
required, please request a hard-copy version. Any views or opinions presented
are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the
company.