[gptalk] Re: Bat File Not Executing.

  • From: "Alan & Margaret" <syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:24:28 +1000

Hi,

You can definitely apply policies to OU's that only contain Computers. In
fact that is the mechanism for applying Machine based policies. The machine
receives all of the policies that are linked to the OU that the machine
belongs to; the user receives all of the policies that are linked to the OU
that the User belongs to.

Loop back processing is used in the situation where you want the same user
to get different User settings when they logon to different machines.

For instance, if they log on to a normal workstation, you want the user to
get a screen saver. However, when they log on to a Terminal server, you
don't want them to get a screen saver. Loopback processing does this by
having two different OU's, one that the computer belongs to and one that the
User belongs to. In the computer OU you set the machine setting to enable
Loop back, and you set the user setting to No screen saver. In the User OU'
you set the user setting to use a screen saver.

The way it works is that when the user logs on to a normal machine (no loop
back processing) he just gets the user profile ( i.e. screen saver). When he
logs on to the Terminal server, since loopback is enabled on that machine,
he gets his normal User settings applied, then he gets the user policies
connected to the Machine OU. This means that the winning setting will be "no
Screensaver".

This is also commonly used on "kiosk" terminals. You may want the user
settings to be much tougher when the user logs on to a kiosk machine than
when they log on to a normal machine.

Note: Loopback processing has two options "Merge" and "Replace". Merge is
what I have described above. Replace is when the user ONLY gets the settings
that exist in the User part of the Policies connected to the Machine OU's

Note: Security filtering based on the User's groups still operates. You can
say Normal users get the restrictive policies on the terminal server, but
Administrators do not.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml>
&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-

http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir
<http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml>
&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)