[gptalk] Another folder redirection question/scenario

  • From: "Washington, Booker" <Booker.Washington@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 10:34:27 -0400

I have two domains, with no trust between the two.

I have folder redirection setup on both domains.  As I prepare to
migrate users from one domain to the other, I have copied all of the
files from their redirected network shares from one domains source
location to the other domains "new source" location.

Two of my users, when I changed domains, their machines cleanly
recognized that the Desktop and My Documents locations were pointing to
different locations, and when the new domain policy applied, the
computers picked it up and the transition was smooth.

My third user, ONE, his computer had a problem joining the new domain.
He took his computer out of domain 1 and put it in a workgroup.  I then
had to delete and add his computer account in domain 2, so that he could
join domain 2.   Upon joining domain 2 and picking up the Folder
redirection policy, it tried to move the files from the source location
in Domain 1, to the location in Domain 2.  Obviously, he no longer has
access to the source location in domain 1, thus Folder redirection
failed.

So....

One of my questions is, what part of the GPO recognizes the source
location, and why would my other two computers ignore the old domain
source location(As I expected) and just work with the location where the
new domain says to point the Desktop and My documents.

Secondly,  I know my old domain Folder redirection GPO has the following
settings for Desktop and My docs

-          Move the contents of MY Documents to the new location

-          Redirect the folder back to the local user profile location
when policy is removed

The new domain GP has the same settings as well

Confused as to why one machine out of three would behave this way.  It
concerns me, as this is my test environment before I try the mass
migration for my entire user base.

Any ideas