[gptalk] Re: "Always use local ADM files..." setting oddness

  • From: "Darren Mar-Elia" <darren@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:34:35 -0700

Couple of things here. The "always use local ADMs" policy does indeed only
effect you when you are editing GPO from a 2003 box. XP does not use this
policy at all. Strange, I know, but they never back-ported it to XP.  So, if
you are using this policy in conjunction with the don't auto-update ADM
policy, then the behavior described below is as expected. You do need to
explicitly add (or remove ADMs) to/from a given GPO when you create it using
these settings. I guess if your ultimate goal is to always keep ADMs out of
SYSVOL, then this combination of settings works ok as long as you never edit
GPOs from XP (or Win2K). But if you do, then  one of two things will happen.
If the ADMs are not in SYSVOL, then XP and 2K will choke because they don't
respect the "always use local" policy and expect to find them in SYSVOL. The
alternative is that you don't have the auto-update policy set on users of
those XP and 2K machines and then they will go ahead and populate SYSVOL
with ADMs. I like the approach of preventing replication of ADMs and just
using the PDCe as the system of record, but it does require a little extra
management.

Darren