[gptalk] Re: ADMX custom base addition

  • From: SCOTT KLASSEN <klas9574@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 11:04:52 -0500

Thanks Alan, I'll take a look at the beta editor.

Scott Klassen

From: syspro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: ADMX
custom base additionDate: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:44:59 +1000

Hi Scott,

I found the same problem. I would consider it as a bug since the SupportedOn
attribute is not supposed to be a required field. You can get around it by
adding a SupportedOn entry that is blank.

If you are interested, I have a beta version of my ADM Template editor program
that you can use to do the generation.

It is downloadable from http://www.sysprosoft.com/adm_download.shtml

I would agree with Darren that trying to code an ADMX file from scratch is very
difficult.

Alan Cuthbertson

 Policy Management Software (Now with ADMX and Preference support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=pol_summary.shtml

ADM Template Editor(Now with ADMX support):-
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=adm_summary.shtml

Policy Log Reporter(Free)
http://www.sysprosoft.com/index.php?ref=activedir&f=policyreporter.shtml

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott KlassenSent: Tuesday, 15 July 2008 6:10 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: ADMX custom base addition

Thanks Darren for the quick reply.

I am actually using the Migrator/Editor tool to an extent, but hand editing
after the fact to make a few changes, such as changing the category and policy
ID’s to make them more user friendly and readable.

The tool doesn’t seem to be able to reference custom base category files, only
the default built-in ones, so I’m stuck doing some manual editing here as well.
 I’ll keep massaging this until I get it to work or set it aside and just cope
with the duplicate nodes.

For anyone who cares, I contacted FullArmor about that issue in version 1.2
where the MMC crashes if you click on the Values tab and the response was they
are working on it for the next release.  They recommended reverting back to the
1.0 version for now (or you can manually add this section to an ADMX file to
avoid this issue).

Scott Klassen

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Darren Mar-EliaSent: Monday, July 14, 2008 1:20 PMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] Re: ADMX custom base addition

Scott-
What I would recommend, frankly, is to use Microsoft’s Free ADMX Editor, that
comes with the ADMX Migrator. It makes creating ADMX files much simpler than
doing it by hand. I, personally, have not undertaken manual authoring of ADMX
files since this tool came out. Its also been updated since the initial release
to fix some issues people had.

You can get it at:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0F1EEC3D-10C4-4B5F-9625-97C2F731090C&displaylang=en

Darren

From: gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:gptalk-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of Scott KlassenSent: Monday, July 14, 2008 11:14 AMTo:
gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [gptalk] ADMX custom base addition

 I’m going to create some custom ADMX templates.  I’d like them to all show up
under a new category (called Custom) in Policies>Administrative Templates.
Following the ADMX Syntax Reference Guide, I’ve found that if I set the new
category in each individual ADMX, I’ll wind up with duplicate nodes.  The
recommendation is to create a new Base ADMX file to define this new Custom
category, then reference the base from new ADMX policy files.  Following the
code snippets in the Syntax Guide,  I’ve attempted to create the new base and
reference it from the example2 admx file, but the new category doesn’t show up
and I get errors about SupportedOn being undefined.  Does anyone here happen to
have a working example of a custom base and an admx policy file that references
it I could take a look at?

Thanks,

Scott Klassen