[gptalk] 2 GPO Issues

  • From: Matt Cross <mrforklift@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 15:39:09 -0400

All --

Thanks for your help on my last issue a couple of weeks ago. I am still wrestling with the same GPO -- I have it almost complete except for two nagging issues:

-- forcing a particular wallpaper

-- allowing ActiveX content to run from files on computer

I will break out what I have already tried for each one below.

A.  Wallpaper

I have tried a number of options with this one. The GPO locks down access to the Control Panel and any CP items with the Prohibit access to the CP setting. Under Display, the force Windows Classic setting is enabled. Active Desktop is disabled, as well as Disable all items and Prohibit changes. Turning on Active Desktop, Allow only bmp wallpaper, and specifying the file in the active desktop wallpaper did not allow the wallpaper to be seen. Turning all of that off, and enabling the following Registry keys in HKU\..\Control Panel\Desktop for .DEFAULT, S-1-5-18, S-1-5-19, and S-1-5-20:

WallpaperStyle
Wallpaper
OriginalWallpaper

resulted in the wallpaper being seen at the logon splash screen, but not once the user has logged in. I did remove the test-user profile from the system before attempting.

B.  Active Content

I turned on the Allow Active content from CDs to run on user machines, but did not see the setting to allow it from files on the computer. I tried putting the site in the Local Trusted Sites zone and then telling the zone to:

Allow active content over restricted protocols
Allow scriptlets
Java permissions
Run ActiveX controls and plugins

At this point, I know I am missing something, but can't see the forest for the trees. Any thoughts?

--
Matt Cross, MCSE: Messaging
mailto:mrforklift@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx