[gpsbug] Re: Results of First Race

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 21:37:01 -0400

Folks,

There is no such thing as a "10 minute engine rule", although you hear of it
often enough.  Here is are the actual rules that apply:

Part 4 "Part 4 rules apply only to boats racing".

42.1 - (Basic Rule for Propulsion)"...a boat shall compter by using only the
wind and water to increase, maintain, or decrease her speed..."  (The
ellipses cover special cases when it is permissable to move the crew, trim
the sails, or anchor.)

Definitions:  Racing  "A boat is racing from her preparatory signal until
she finishes ..."  (The ellipses further define finishing.)

As noted in our racing instructions, our prepatory signal is at 11:05, five
minutes prior to the first start.

I am not sure what all radio traffic Susan is referring to, but I heard a
complaint from Steve Butkus directed both to Odyssey and Rebecca J that we
were running our engines.  This complaint was made after our warning signal
but prior to the preparatory signal.  Rebecca J killed her engine prior to
the preparatory signal, and, to the best of my knowledge, so did Odyssey.

Note that depending on the racing instructions, the timing of a preparatory
signal can change.  Anyway, in our races you can run you engine up until the
preparatory signal is sounded, five minutes prior to the first start.

I hope this clarifies the situation in general as well as the situation on
Saturday morning.

Thanks.

John