[gpsbug] FW: Please Forward This Volunteer Request

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WhiteShoal \('Gpsbug@Freelists. Org '\)'" <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2011 21:46:37 -0400

  _____

From: Orlowski, Thomas [mailto:thomas.orlowski@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 05, 2011 5:37 PM
To: j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Please Forward This Volunteer Request

 John,

Please forward this request for sailing volunteers to the gpsbug mailing
list for me.

Thanks,

Tom
______________________

Sailing Buddies,

As you may already know from the article that John Edwards was kind enough
to print in the Smithfield Times a few weeks ago, along with a mental health
counselor, I recently co-founded Sailors Onboard 4 Soldiers (So4S).  We are
a non-profit, 501(c)(3) tax deductible charity sailing program that is
integrated with counseling.  We serve the U.S. Military (active duty and
veteran) and First Responders who suffer from PTSD or other anxiety or
stress--‐related disorders.  Such disorders can seriously debilitate the
resiliency of the mind, spirit and body of our nation’s strongest links.

The attached brochure gives an overview the SO4S program and our web site,
http://www.sailorsonboard4soldiers.org/ , provides an in-depth description
of the illness and our program for helping sufferers recover from its
devastating effects.  I’ve also attached a contribution form for your
convenience.

Participation is free for active and veteran military and First Responder
personnel suffering from PTSD and other stress related illnesses.

We are beginning to schedule program session dates and we are looking for
sailors that will, along with me, volunteer to be “Sailing 101”
instructors.  You don’t have to be a certified sailing instructor or Coast
Guard licensed captain to teach this course, because we don’t charge
participants for the sailing or the counseling.  We are also not certifying
the participants as sailors at any level.  While we would like you to use
your own boat to teach participants, if you don’t own a boat, we now have a
donated Catalina 25 for you to use.  We will also provide you with lesson
plans and the course book, Sailing For Dummies.

We’d like you to consider volunteering to assist us in providing sailing
instruction sessions.  We’ll be glad to have as little or as much time as
you want to give us and the people that we plan to serve.  If you have
questions or are interested in volunteering call my cell # 703-801-6671 or
email me at  <mailto:orlowski@xxxxxxxx> orlowski@xxxxxxxxx  You can also
volunteer on our website.

Whether or not you volunteer, please consider making a financial or in-kind
contribution (Needs are on our web site.) to this valuable program.  I’ve
also attached a contribution form to this email.

Fair Winds,

Tom