[gpsbug] Cock Island Race

  • From: "John" <j.wandling@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WhiteShoal \('Gpsbug@Freelists. Org '\)'" <gpsbug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 05:46:54 -0400

John Edwards and I did the Cock Island race yesterday.  With about 90 boats
participating it was a fun and exciting eight mile race on the Elizabeth
River, starting and ending in downtown Portsmouth, off the bulkhead just
across from Norfolk Waterside.  With shifty breezes ranging from 5 to 10
knots, we dodged a container ship, a couple of tugs/barges, and each other
for about three hours.

John and I finished 4th and 5th in our fleet, respectively (yeah.he beat us
again!, by under a minute).

Like many of the races in the larger clubs "downriver" there is a cruising
class for boats and skippers that haven't raced in awhile.  The long summer
days give plenty of daylight for getting to and fro, and the larger fleets
make these things interesting.  Many venues have overnight docking (we
stayed two nights at Tidewater Marine (nice marina, good restaurant, pool)
right in downtown Portsmouth).

The website for Hampton Yacht Club (www.hamptonyc.com) has a racing schedule
for most clubs around here (click on "Yacht Racing Handicap/Fleet" on left
side of home page).

I hope to take advantage of a long Sunday soon and sail up the river to race
my little boat against John again.

See ya on the water.

John Wandling