[gps-talkusers] Re: vehicular route differences

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 07:39:26 -0700

Hello guys,
Nice guess Alex, that is what Map Quest uses actually, we do not yet store the average speeds of each segment of the road with your route so all we have is the total route distance. When you are not moving we use for vehicle routes 25 MPH as your "speed", for Pedestrian routes when you are not moving we use 2 MPH.

So once your are up to speed while driving try the ETA again and you should get some more realistic ETA's.

In the future we are looking to get more realistic ETA's while not moving, and even better ones while driving.

Thanks
Charles.

At 07:22 AM 8/26/2007, you wrote:
Just a guess, but version 4 uses average speeds traveled on roads while Map Quest probably uses exact speed limits. This may account for it.

Have a great day,
Alex