[gps-talkusers] Re: new member, many questions

  • From: UPPER ROOM MINISTRIES <rubak_erablai@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:11:14 -0700 (PDT)

hi Kevin, I was wondering if you could help me? I am trying to install the 54
Mbps Wireless CompactFlash Card on my BT, however, when I am at the>>>> ok,
here's the deal! I, press O for options, C for connectivity, W for wireless
connection, but then everything stalls on me, speech and all so then I will end
up restarting the bt! "what am I doing wrong?
  thanks

Kevin Chao <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Joleen,

Yes, I would have to agree that the GPS is something to be very excited
about and has many different functions and applications. I would like to
tell you that you have turned the proper direction in asking questions
regarding the Sendero GPS. Between the onboard help, online chat sessions
and this list all of your questions should be covered.

I will address your questions below.

1. creating a manual route in virtual mode
here are the steps for creating a virtual manual route, not sure which
keyboard you have so QT's will be in parenthesis
a. go into gps, switch to virtual mode
b. press r for route command, then o to open a route, navigate to the drive
and folder where you would like to save this route, give it a meaningful
name, it iwll say "document does not exist, do you wish to create?" press y
for yes
c. you will want to move virtually to your starting point, this can be done
through an address, poi, or lat/lon; then you will want to put your first
waypoint there by doing a space k (control k), it will prompt for waypoint
name and description. Field in the fields as desired and press enter.
d. Then move to your next intersection where you will be making a turn, note
the heading. To move forward press dots 2-3-5-6 (control up arrow), to make
a right turn press dots 5-6 (control right arrow), to make a left press dots
2-3 (control left arrow). Once at the intersection where you are planning on
making a turn press space k (control k) to add an additional waypoint, it
will prompt for waypoint name, direction, and description. Avoid putting
directional information in the name or description field; directional
information will be reversed. Continue this procedure until you are done
with the route, for the last waypoint you will input straight as the
direction
e. once you are done, you will save the route by pressing RS
F. When you are wanting to open the route in the future you will press RO
and navigate to the drive and folder where the route was saved and navigate
to the proper route and press enter

2. Points of Interest
The reason for the multiple entries or what may appear to be private points
may be due to points that are in different categories. If you wish to check
the category
you can press space p (control p) on the poi that appears

A way of participating to either add/rename points of interest is by
contacting the mapping company TeleAtlas or by adding a new poi at the
location by doing a space 3 (control r) this will increase the accuracy of
the poi up to 10 feet at best. The more details in a poi the better. It is
possible to seperate whthe information from what is displayed versus what is
shwon when you expand a poi by doing a space p (control p). To do this, type
in the name of the location and put in a comma, all information following
the comma will only be shown with an expanded poi command. Once you have a
good collection you will be able to email the poi file to Sendero and it
will be added to the monthly compilation of POI's, currently there are over
10,000user public poi's. So, if you wish to contribute and leave your
digital footprint for others to explore then submit your poi's to Sendero
Group.

3. location of streets
The reason the location of streets may appear to be either dead on or off by
a few hundred feet, despite an accuracy of +-30 feet is because all of the
streets are computer generated and computer projected. The accuracy of the
street information and location of POI's will only to get better, but you
are more than welcome to give feedback to the mapping company, Teleatlas.

4. Lookaround and Automatic announcements
The lookaround mode that announces poi's, intersection every so often is set
to search for poi's within 300 feet every 12 seconds at pedestrian speeds,
so not all poi's will be announced, they will only be announced once every
12 seconds within a 300 feet radius.

If you are receiving information about an intersection to your left, there
might be an issue with the receiver giving falty information. Which reciever
are your currently using?

5. locking keyboard
At the moment there isn't a way of locking the keyboard and silencing the
machine until it is unlocked, what is possible however is to lock the
keyboard and to turn the pseech off manually

6. Speaker/Headset
When looking at using an external speaker, there are two good items to
consider the Motorola T305, a bluetooth sspeaker a bit pricier, no wires to
worry about or hte radio shack speaker, a wired speaker and cheaper

The bluetooth spekaer comes with a provided clip, runs for about $100 with a
bluetooth dongle and all of the required accessories to run it properly with
the BrailleNote.

The Radio Shack speaker is about $40 with a case and a clip, Radio Shack
just sells the speaker; if you are wanting the whole deal I believe it can
still be found on the Sendero website if not try phoning in

It is actually pretty nice how the GPS can be used to get yourself unlost,
but it is good to keep in mind the accuracy. Be sure to walk 10-15 seconds
in a direction before asking for a heading for a definite heading

Kevin