[gps-talkusers] my impressions of 3.5:

  • From: "Mary Ellen Earls" <meearls@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:50:30 -0700

Hi guys!
Well after Carl set me straight and I got the 3.5 in this morning I put the Arizona map in and my oh my is it easier to have the poi's and maps all in one folder. Happily, I grabbed my user poi(s) from the 3.3 in the voice note and off we went. Peggy seemed to sense that there was something new in the air because this dog literally pranced on the route which Seeing Eye mapped outfor us a year and a half ago.
My first impression is that the maps are far far better. I got a far more accurate picture of where I was in that I wasn't being told that the wheelchair ramp to the church entrence was 25 feet ahead as I was crossing it. I was forewarned well ahead of time of its approach.
Also I was delighted to see a fix for an intersection in the Cincinnati map which, 2 years ago, put me on a wild goose chase for 2 hours and when I learned all I had to do was crossto the other side of the street and could have been home in 2 minutes, I was just a bit upset.
In Version 3.1 and 3.3 it said this particular intersection looped around onto itself. It is a funny setup where one side of the street is the end of one street and the other side is another street and these streets go in opposite curves. Very odd but that is how our village is designed where lanes wind in and out onto eachother.

I was extremely impressed when I was told that WAAS was on and I had 11 satellites tracking me.
I didn't really notice any faster search of poi's but I wasn't consciously looking for it.
Also I was really happy to see the improvement in the poi database and several new places were added such as there are many icecream parlors near me and a coffee plantation is right at the end of my street (Hmm, guess where we'll be tomorrow as I used my last bit of coffee up just today.)
I was also quite happy to see we could explore a route in turns mode in the virtual setting. Good for giving dirrections from the airport to here.
I have made my maps by regions so Ohio has gone in the eastern region much as in the old Atlas Speaks days.
I have not done a route from my Cincinnati address to their airport yet and this should be interesting as our airport is in Kentucky. I am particularly anxious to see what pk does because for some odd reason in version 3.3The PK was not able to make a route from my Cincinnati Residence to the airport in northern kentucky.
I never bothered with it but plan to check this out quite soon.
I am extremely impressed at the ease of how the maps went into their respective folders and I have the regions in their own folders labeled Maps western for the Arizona and California maps and Maps, Eastern for Ohio, Kentucky etc.
But not to have to point to a separate poi folder is a Godsend and my user pois simply blended in as if they had been put there by the manufacturer.
Thank you, mike and Charles for a fabulous upgrade and may you have continued success for many many years to come.
Mary Ellen Earls