[gps-talkusers] Re: gps-talkusers Digest V4 #311

  • From: "O'Farrell, Catherine J." <Catherine.O'Farrell@xxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 09:50:04 -0500

Catherine O'Farrell COMS, CVRT
Southeastern Blind Rehabilitation Center
VA Medical Center
700 South 19th Street
Birmingham, AL 35233
(205) 933-8101 Ext. 5023

Sent: Friday, December 14, 2007 1:30 AM
To: gps-talkusers digest users
Subject: gps-talkusers Digest V4 #311

gps-talkusers Digest    Thu, 13 Dec 2007        Volume: 04  Issue: 311

In This Issue:
                [gps-talkusers] Re: what receivers are shipping?
                [gps-talkusers] Re: what receivers are shipping?
                [gps-talkusers] Re: what receivers are shipping?
                [gps-talkusers] BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] Sindero  Performance was Re: Re:
BrailleNote
                [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS
                [gps-talkusers] gps inside?
                [gps-talkusers] Re: gps inside?
                [gps-talkusers] Re: gps inside?
                [gps-talkusers] Re: gps inside?
                [gps-talkusers] e: gps inside?

From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: what receivers are shipping?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:07:43 -0700

okay thanks
From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:10:44 -0700

thanks tha tells me wht i needed to know.
From: "James Malone" <malone_j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 07:02:37 -0800

How much is the Receiver?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:26:44 -0500
From: "Eric Brinkman" <eric.brinkman1@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS

Hi,
I am curious whether anyone who has used both the BrailleNote GPS and
the
Voice Sense GPS can comment on any differences between the two.  Thanks
in
advance.

Eric

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 11:46:40 -0500
From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: BrailleNote GPS vs Voice Sense GPS

Hello Eric. I'd be happy to comment on the Voice Sense side of things
although I'm not sure how much my comments will mean since I've only
used the Voice Sense and not the Braille note. The things i can comment
on are mainly things which I've seen from reading other user
experiences, but none from me personally.

--
Raul A. Gallegos .. GW Micro Technical Support
Voice: 260-489-3671 .. Fax: 260-489-2608

------------------------------

From: "Judy W" <judyw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:58:02 -0600

Isn't the chip in the Braille Sense faster? Maybe someone from sendero
could
tell us if route calculation is noticeably faster.

Judy

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 12:15:21 -0500
From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>

I am not from Sendero, but the bnmp has a 416mhz processor and
64mb ram while the vs has a 520mhz processor and 128mb ram.  I
imagine this would make it run faster, but cannot say for sure.
Basically, though, the software is the same on both machines,
except the user interface which is customized for either the bn
or vs.

Have a great day,
Alex

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:14:15 -0800

If we wwant to figure this out we can run a test.

Let's say we just have the maps for California loaded and create a route
from Sendero Group to the LightHouse and see what the
difference in speed is.

Raul, I am not sure if there is some progress tone on the Sense Nav. On
the Sendero GPS, there is a swoosh that occurs every 3
seconds to indicate some progress.

Starting:
Sendero Group
11188 Maple Lane
Davis, CA

Ending:
LightHouse
214 Van ness Ave
San Francisco, CA

Could someone perform the route calculation on the BrailleNote and
someone on the VoiceSense? We then can compare notes.

It might be faster on the VoiceSense as Alex suggested as there is more
processing power and RAM on the VoiceSense.

There are many variables that aren't accounted for, but this is just a
general comparison.

Kevin

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Sindero  Performance was Re: Re: BrailleNote
GPS vs Vo
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 10:20:32 -0800

You know I was literally going to ask this question this morning.  Does
the
Sindero product run better on any specific platform?  Not just faster
but in
a more stable way.  I assume that differences in hardware and software
(regardless of how expert your QA is) may yield slightly different
results.
Does it perform better on anything specific?  Is the fastest also the
most
stable?
    Also, I didn't realize that you all were so close to the bay area,
I'll
buy the drinks if anyone's in the south bay.:)

Thanks
Scott

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 15:40:43 -0500
From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Hi. On the Voice Sense I put in Sendero as the virtual position and the
Lighthouse as the destination. It showed that the destination was 64.37
miles southwest from Sendero.

The Voice Sense plays progress tones, but I don't think they are three
seconds apart. I created the route using two slightly methods. The first

was using the micro hard drive CF card with the whole West of the US
loaded. The second test was with only the California maps loaded in the
flashdisk of the Voice Sense. In both cases the result was the same.
Creating a vehicle route took 57 beeps. The route had 364 waypoints. To
be honest, this is longer than what I would have thought. At least when
I've created many routes in Denver, Chicago, and Fort Wayne, 60 or so
mile routes do not seem to take as long, but I don't know if POIs or map

areas have something to do with this.

So, there is the Voice Sense side of things.

From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] gps inside?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:24:06 -0700

Hi. Does the braille note gps work indoors yet or is that being planned?

Also, if I get a jump drive for my m-power , can I save the maps for the
US
on to that drive or what kind of device are they on like a cf card or an
sd
card? I know you can get those little drives with several gigs have a
friend
who just got a 3 or 4 gig one so that is what made me wonder and if I
can,
what gig should I go with just to be sure there is enough space?

------------------------------

From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: gps inside?
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:42:31 -0500

Hi Tina,
I'll answer your second question.
the maps will run from SD cf or usb jump drives.
However it is not recommended to run your maps from the jump drive
because in motion you could bump the usb drive therefore braking it
off.

Hope this helps.
Chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:48:46 -0500
From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>

Gps relies on satellites, whose signals are blocked by buildings.
You may be able to pick up a signal indoors but there is no way
you will be able to navigate a building with it.
A jump drive would work but I recommend a cf or sd card which can
be left in the unit more easily and does not stick out.  The maps
come on an 8gb card, but you can get anywhere from a 1gb to 16gb.
What size you get depends on how many maps you will need at a
time and which maps they are--the Maine maps are much smaller
than the California maps.

Have a great day,
Alex

------------------------------

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:46:55 -0800

Tina, just a quick primer on how GPS works to answer your first
question.
There is a constilation of space based platforms that the defense
department
put up for the purposes of navigation in military applications.  This
system
uses very carefully controled time sources and a receiver which measures
the
deviation of signal received from one of several birds that your
receiver
locks on to at any given time.  You need I believe it's 4 birds at a
minimum
to have a fix in 3 dimentions.  (someone pipe in if I'm way off here)
So,
can you use the GPS inside?  Not so well.  Yes, mine comes on in my
house
but there's no floors above my position and the roof allows some signal
pass.  This is not normally the case.  In most buildings (like where I
work
for example) the roof and materials totally obstruct the signal.  In
fact, I
work in a lab where we use GPS signals for very careful timing.  We have
pass an antenna up through the roof and calebrate it carefully, with the

position exactly of each sattellite so that we can generate really
accurate
time signals.  My point is that you have no signal to work with inside a

building typically so it's not possible to get a fix, something your
receiver needs to transmit position data to the Sindero package.  If you
had
another means of calculating a fix either with a gyroscope or something
that
can calculate movement until the signal is reacquired you might have
something but as it stands now I don't think it's workable indoors for
the
most part.  I'm sure someone from Sindero will detail this better but
this
is my understanding.

Thanks
Scott

------------------------------

Date:Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:58:07 -0500
From:jeremy gilbreth <jermy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gps-talkusers] e: gps inside?

Hi, Tina.  I have used my Gps to get around in the mall.  Later.

------------------------------

From: "Jim Gammon" <jgammon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:16:26 -0800

Sounds great, but to be fair, you should use a stopwatch to time the
route
creation in both cases and see how long each unit takes.  Counting beeps
is
probably not accurate as they may go faster on the Voice Sense due to
the
faster processor.  Jim

------------------------------

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:41:13 -0800

Actually, neither are a good solution.  Depending on the OS's (Did
someone
say Windows CE?) you should run a benchmarking tool. Or, maybe that's to

complex, maybe if again it's a windows derivitive, you could employ a
port
of the unix time command which literally times the exact start and stop
of a
given process.  I'm not sure how open these devices are though, my gut
tells
me not very but I've been pleasantly surprised lately.  I'm rather
thinking
that the results may be similar enough that human measurement might not
provide enough resolution.  At a minimum, precision is always a good
thing.
(tm)

:)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 18:52:49 -0800
From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

For this even if the difference is a second it won't matter that much
its not like we are clocking FLOPS or something.  A 60+ mile route
will have enough of a difference that a stopwatch will be more that
enough to determine how fast both calculate the same route.  I would
imagine that the Voice Sense having 100 MHz faster processor will
hands down beat the BrailleNote in route creation, my guess is there
will be probably a 5 to 10 second speed difference on the Voice Sense.

Charles.

<jgammon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Charles M. La Pierre CTO
Sendero Group, LLC

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:06:44 -0800

Jim and Charles, very good points regarding the timing of the route
creation. We don't need precision of a millionth of billionth of
a second here. I created the route on the PK and it came out at 1 minute
and 18 seconds. I hit the stop watch created the route then
hit the stop watch off on the PK.

We will see what the VoiceSense gets.

Kevin

For this even if the difference is a second it won't matter that much
its not like we are clocking FLOPS or something.  A 60+ mile route
will have enough of a difference that a stopwatch will be more that
enough to determine how fast both calculate the same route.  I would
imagine that the Voice Sense having 100 MHz faster processor will
hands down beat the BrailleNote in route creation, my guess is there
will be probably a 5 to 10 second speed difference on the Voice Sense.

Charles.

At 06:41 PM 12/13/2007, you wrote:
>Actually, neither are a good solution.  Depending on the OS's (Did
>someone say Windows CE?) you should run a benchmarking tool. Or,
>maybe that's to complex, maybe if again it's a windows derivitive,
>you could employ a port of the unix time command which literally
>times the exact start and stop of a given process.  I'm not sure how
>open these devices are though, my gut tells me not very but I've
>been pleasantly surprised lately.  I'm rather thinking that the
>results may be similar enough that human measurement might not
>provide enough resolution.  At a minimum, precision is always a good
>thing. (tm)
>
>:)
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Gammon"
<jgammon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Charles M. La Pierre CTO
Sendero Group, LLC

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W

------------------------------

From: Chris Grabowski <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:15:47 -0500

Hi all,
I'll do the side by side tomorrow.
Chris
On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:06:44 -0800, "Kevin Chao"
<g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>Jim and Charles, very good points regarding the timing of the route
creation. We don't need precision of a millionth of billionth of
>a second here. I created the route on the PK and it came out at 1
minute and 18 seconds. I hit the stop watch created the route then
>hit the stop watch off on the PK.
>
>We will see what the VoiceSense gets.
>
>Kevin

n>For this even if the difference is a second it won't matter that

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:21:06 -0500
From: Alex Parks <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>

Besides neither device can run any software not writtenfor it by
its manufacturer.

Have a great day,
Alex

------------------------------

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:13:55 -0800

Actually, I've heard conflicting reports on that, but this is probably
off
topic to this list.  We'll see the results in the side by side tomorrow.

------------------------------

From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:35:21 -0700

Thanks Alex that makes sense.  for anyone who has been able to get a
signal
indoors, how did it do could use really use it as affectively as you can

outside.

------------------------------

From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:38:12 -0700

I see. how is it then that your cell phone will work indoors for the
most
part when they get everything thru satellites although seems to me I
remember reading that they are really just radios so maybe that is it.
Interesting.

------------------------------

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:29:13 -0800

In our lab we detect a lot of reflections and error resulting from these

reflections  (flat surfaces etc).  Depends on the materials involved.
where
I am for example there are raised floors and lots of metal.  Wooden or
natural coverings will have drastically different effects but that's
probably outside the scope of this thread.  The more clear your view to
the
sky the better.  Michael has spoken clearly in the past on multipath for

example and the effects there.  Just remember this is all radio at it's
core.  Anything you learned about radio signals in your sixth grade
science
class (back when you got a great education from the public schools,
pointing
at certain members of this list) applies here.  So when you block a
signal
you render it less effective in any form.  Both the Holux and
US-Globalsat
sites have good information about the basics of GPS which apply to all
tools
including Sindero.  The Government also maintains both highly technical
and
consumer oriented information.  It's an amazing technology!

------------------------------

From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:31:43 -0800

Tina, GPS uses spaced based platforms that operate on the 1.5 GHZ
frequency
ranges.  These are similar in frequency to cell (a little longer length)
but
oriented from the sky.  Cell phones use ground based towers that are
tied
directly back to phone switches.  You don't use much sattellite service
in
the cell network.  There are space based phone systems but they are very

expensive and used most recognizably by journalists in war zones etc.
Totally different technologies.

------------------------------

From: "Kevin Chao" <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 20:44:09 -0800

I personally have managed to get a signal in many indoor malls and
marked various user POIs of the mall entrance for shops and the
food court and a host of other points. The major difference with this is
that instead of being within 30 feet of your destination
and your heading being semi-correct, the heading is flying all over the
planet and the destination is more within a 100 feet range.
This proximity and heading information will differ from receiver  to
receiver and from building to building. This is where outdoor
malls are nice as it is possible to mark the stores and to be brought
within 30 feet of the store upon return.

Kevin

------------------------------

From: "Jim Gammon" <jgammon1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 22:52:31 -0800

Now there you go!  What we need here is a little rationality!  Jim

> On Thu, 13 Dec 2007 19:06:44 -0800, "Kevin Chao"
> <g.unit89@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Jim and Charles, very good points regarding the timing of the route
>>creation. We don't need precision of a millionth of billionth of
>>a second here. I created the route on the PK and it came out at 1
minute
>>and 18 seconds. I hit the stop watch created the route then
>>hit the stop watch off on the PK.
>>
>>We will see what the VoiceSense gets.
>>
>>Kevin

End of gps-talkusers Digest V4 #311