[gps-talkusers] Re: gps inside?

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:46:55 -0800

Tina, just a quick primer on how GPS works to answer your first question. There is a constilation of space based platforms that the defense department put up for the purposes of navigation in military applications. This system uses very carefully controled time sources and a receiver which measures the deviation of signal received from one of several birds that your receiver locks on to at any given time. You need I believe it's 4 birds at a minimum to have a fix in 3 dimentions. (someone pipe in if I'm way off here) So, can you use the GPS inside? Not so well. Yes, mine comes on in my house but there's no floors above my position and the roof allows some signal to pass. This is not normally the case. In most buildings (like where I work for example) the roof and materials totally obstruct the signal. In fact, I work in a lab where we use GPS signals for very careful timing. We have to pass an antenna up through the roof and calebrate it carefully, with the position exactly of each sattellite so that we can generate really accurate time signals. My point is that you have no signal to work with inside a building typically so it's not possible to get a fix, something your receiver needs to transmit position data to the Sindero package. If you had another means of calculating a fix either with a gyroscope or something that can calculate movement until the signal is reacquired you might have something but as it stands now I don't think it's workable indoors for the most part. I'm sure someone from Sindero will detail this better but this is my understanding.

Thanks
Scott

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tina B." <tinabir@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>