[gps-talkusers] Re: e: Re: a little frustrating

  • From: "Richard Myers" <dkmyers28@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:08:01 +0900

Hello, All,
I just got my Earthmate and laptop hooked together. I used the Earthmate without its battery pack, connected directly to the USB port. After installing the Earthmate software, both disks, I tried it out sitting outside on a lawn seat under the stars. The first fix took over 20 minutes, so I shut everything down and tried again. The second time, I managed to get a decent fix in a little less than 20 minutes. Well, so much for quick fixes.

I tried to convert the fixes I got to "stops" or "vias", and was totally unable to get them registered. A little window kept popping up, telling me that my point had to be within 62 miles of a road. Well, wasn't that nice of it to tell me that. My house front yard borders on a major highway through the area.

No matter how many times I tried it, the same things happened: very slow fixes and no way to register waypoints (poi). I thought it might be a bad loading of the software, so I deleted the whole thing, both files, and tried again with exactly the same results.

Well, I figured that I had either defective software or a defective receiver, so unloaded both software files. Much to my chagrin, I discovered that unloading the software contaminated any other software programs that used the USB port. I had two other USB files, one that my daughter used to download her camera pictures and one that used an external hard drive. Both of those programs were scrambled, and neither my my daughter nor I have been able to get them back. Something wrong with the basic USB enabling software as part of the Windows operating system. Next week, I am going to mail the whole mess back to DeLorme as defective equipment. I hope no one else has had this serious problem, it's worse than a virus!

Regards to all,

Dick Myers

From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [gps-talkusers] Re: e: Re: a little frustrating
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2005 22:40:40 -0700

Richard,

The PK sequence is different from other devices because of the way the Blue Logger receiver is accessed.

You are correct that the Magellan or the serial Earthmate receivers can be acquiring satellites without the BrailleNote even on or the GPS application loaded.

Hi, Mike

Is this configuration specific? The reason I ask is because, on a daily basis, my sequence of actions seems to give different results! What I do is:

1.  Load up the GPS software whilst still inside a building.

2.  Switch off the BN V6,1.

3. About 20 minutes later, once I've made one bus journey and I'm outside waiting for the next, switch on the GPS receiver (it's a Magellan 310).

4.  Once on my second bus, switch on the BN.

With this sequence, as soon as the BN is switched on, I get the "acquired satellites" message. Therefore, it would seem that the GPS is looking for and acquiring satellites independent of communication with the GPS software.

Regards

Richard Bartholomew

(8):[(8)