[gps-talkusers] Re: another new iphone navigation app

  • From: Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:18:34 -0800

Interesting about the iPhone. People either really love it or can't stand it.

I think the interface is not a matter of difficulty so much as it is a matter of technique. If you can get the hang of it, you love it. For many others, it is very sensitive and delicate and is frustrating.

I think you have to be motivated by the cool or techy factor to deal with the learning curve where you actually enjoy the iPhone and are productive. I consider myself fairly techy but I am not nearly as productive with the touch screen interface as I am with my n86. Perhaps at a conference, we should have text messaging races to see on average which phone has the most productive interface. The fact that you have all these obscure apps on the iPhone is definitely attractive. I love the Pandora radio application. For me, that is the best thing about an iTouch or iPhone. The GPS on the other hand, does not hold a candle to any accessible GPS app.

I should try out that app. There is even an app for indoor
navigation , released today

Thanks,

Kevin
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 7, 2009, at 7:50 PM, Michael May <MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

We have someone testing Navigon and hope to have a report before
long. From what I hear, it covers the basics pretty well assuming
you can deal with the touch screen interface of the iPhone, not for
the faint of heart.

However, you can assume that applications designed for the sighted
will never provide Look Around and other modes useful to blind users.

As I know you understand, prices are based on the number of users
for a product. iPhone apps are based on sales to millions and apps
for blind users are based on low thousands of users. Sendero users
have a direct voice in influencing features versus having no
influence on a main stream product. This is the good news bad news
of being a big fish in a small pond versus a small fish in the ocean.

Mike

At 04:18 PM 12/7/2009, Mike Arrigo wrote:
I agree, though I'm not sure how accessible the new app is, I know
the navigon works well. This is not meant as a criticism aganst
Sendero, they have good products, but the prices are very high.
Hopefully more and more main stream devices and applications will
becme accessible the way navigon is on the iphone, really that's
the way it should be.
On Dec 7, 2009, at 9:17 AM, Baracco, Andrew W wrote:

> This is exciting.  Another indication that implementation of
principles
> of universal design can result in the lack of need for overpriced
> specialized products.
> Andy

Arrigo
> Sent: Thursday, December 03, 2009 4:25 PM
> To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [gps-talkusers] another new iphone navigation app
>
> Hi all, well, Magellan just released the first version of their
> navigation app, wonder how accessible it is. Apparently, navigon is
> adding walk navigation, and once they do that, it should provide
just
> about everything a blind traveler would need.To change your email
> settings (unsubscribe, digest only, or vacation mode):
> http://senderogroup.com/email.htm
>
> Additionally, to unsubscribe send an email to
> gps-talkusers-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "unsubscribe" in the
Subject.
> To change your email settings (unsubscribe, digest only, or
vacation mode):
> http://senderogroup.com/email.htm

To change your email settings (unsubscribe, digest only, or
vacation mode):
http://senderogroup.com/email.htm

Michael G. May

CEO Sendero Group

Featuring Sendero GPS on 4 platforms, BrailleNotes, Sense Nav for
Braille Sense products, Mobile Geo on Windows phones and StreetTalk
VIP for the Pac Mate. Distributing Trekker Breeze and Wayfinder for
Symbian phones. Also distributing Victor Stream, KNFB Mobile Reader,
Talks, Mobile Speak, Tiger embossers, Miniguide and ID Mate

Crashing Through, a book about Mike May, by Robert Kurson, available
at http://www.CrashingThrough.com

MikeMay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.SenderoGroup.com

1-888-757-6810, Fax (530) 757-6830, Mobile (530) 304-0007
Sendero Group, LLC
429 F Street, Davis, CA 95616, USA

[...]

"unsubscribe" in the Subject.