[gps-talkusers] Re: a little frustrating

  • From: Robert Carter <r-carter@xxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 08:10:39 -0500

Hi,

I am using the pk and Blue Logger. Does the receiver start looking for satellites when it is turned on or does it only start searching when the gps software is started? I have been turning my receiver on inside using my light probe to make sure that it is on and then walking outside and starting the gps software. Am I shooting myself in the foot in terms of acquisition time by turning it on inside?

Thanks,

Robert Carter

At 11:34 AM 4/19/2005, you wrote:
Hello,

There are various reasons for your sluggish GPS receiver. Having to wait 20 minutes for a fix is uncommon, so if this problem persists, please call Sendero tech support. Also, I am not sure if you tried turning the GPS receiver on and off again once you were outside, sometimes that is all it takes.

Now for the possible culprits...

It is common for the GPS receiver to take a while when it is first acquiring in a new location. It remembers your last location, so when you turn it on in the new location it is surprised by the different latitudes and longitudes. It will take a while to confirm that you have indeed moved locations, it would rather give you no information than bad information. The same goes for when it has been turned on indoors, hasn't been used in a while, or if the battery has recently run out of juice. Here is a complete description of why this happens from Charles LaPierre:

"The GPS receiver keeps an internal almanac of where the satellites "should" be. This almanac is updated when the GPS receiver is linked to the satellites."

"When the unit is first turned on it starts looking where it "thinks" the satellites should be based on its current almanac. If after a while it can't find these satellites in the positions it thinks they should be then it switches to a mode called Cold start where it forgets its current almanac and starts searching for all satellites. This happens because as far as the receiver is concerned the satellites should be in a particular position at a particular time for this particular part of the country but they aren't so the receiver starts over from scratch as if you just moved the receiver half way around the planet, and it rebuilds it almanac of where the satellites are."

"Cold start or cold boot as they call it can take a while to obtain a GPS fix 5-10 minutes if you are lucky when out in an open area and the satellites are in a favorable geometry."

Hope that helps,

Kim Casey
Sendero Group LLC
888.757.6810

I went for a walk during lunch today and I walked for 20 minutes before gps 3.0 on my Voice Note running Keysoft 5.1 got a fix on some satellites.

Does anyone know why this might have taken so long to acquire a satellite fix?

I just did a Voice Note warm reboot and then a reinstall of gps 3.0.

I know I could upgrade to keysoft 6.x and gps 3.1 but I can't afford to right now.

Anyway, can anyone tell me what the problem could have been? I was in a residential area with only a few trees and nowhere near tall buildings and it was also a sunny day.

Thanks