[gps-talkusers] Re: Where did my User POI file go?

  • From: Charles LaPierre <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 12:35:27 -0700

Hello Everyone

One other thing to remember is if you make a new folder and point the GPS software to use that other maps folder if you want the additional User Public POIs and RMF pois you need to copy them into that directory as well (ie. you will have a copy in your maps folder and another copy of these two additional POI files in your Arizona folder.

There are pros / cons to having them all in one folder or separate folders.
Pros for 1 folder
one combined user.poi file with all pois you create in one place
Only one copy of the RMF and user public pois (saves drive space)
You can create routes across both maps.

Cons for 1 folder
one combined user.poi file (yes this is a pro and a con because you will have both Arizona pois you create and your California user pois intermixed in this one file)
You have to select which state you want when doing an address search

Pro's for two folders
A separate User.poi file for each state so they are relevant for the map you have loaded.
Address searching will default to the single map you have loaded.

Con's for two folders
Duplicate User Public and RMF POIs in each folder.
two user.poi files named the same thing
You must remember to switch map folders when you transition from California to Arizona You can not create a route from California to Arizona because both maps would need to be loaded at the same time.

There may be others if you can think of any please post them as well

Hope this helps
Charles.

At 11:58 AM 8/26/2007, you wrote:
Hello,
We suggest placing all maps you will use in the "maps" folder.
if you do create another folder for Arizona, once you switch to that
folder and create a user poi, a new user.poifile  is created in the
new folder.
if you have all maps in one folder, then no matter where you are, all
user pois go into the same user.poi file in the maps folder.
Hope this isn't as confusing as I think it sounds.
Chris

Charles M. La Pierre CTO
Sendero Group, LLC

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W