[gps-talkusers] Re: What Happened?

  • From: "Scott Granados" <gsgranados@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 10:52:36 -0700

Charles, to be more specific, the issue seems especially bad between comcast and freelists. Several lists have been impacted recently. Remember that Comcast DNS is run by completely unskilled and unqualified engineers who got their technical skills from the inside of a cracker jacks box. (and not the good cracker jacks but the cheap Mexican knock offs you see in the little markets in San Jose east side) lol The comcast.net domain has been high jacked several times because of an exploit that was discovered in DNS involving unsecure updates and non checksum based calculations. As a result mail relaying gets jammed up when people start monkeying around with their tables. This is irritating but harmless. The harmful stuff is what happens when bank domains are high jacked and people start mashing in passwords by the thousands. Anyone who uses comcast DNS for recurrsion is taking a serious risk. It's easily patched but the last time I checked which was about a week ago it still wasn't patched. The patch and exploit have been solved for over a month now so like I said, Cracker Jacks! (We had it patched the same day thank you) What's interesting is I use comcast mail and think it's been a fairly continuous flow of messages. Comcast mail and DNS though is very distributed so it could be geographic. Sorry to run on but it seemed on topic since folks are having issues. If anyone wants help and is on Comcast redefining DNS to a safe name service provider contact me off list or just visit http://www.opendns.org and follow the instructions. It's totally free and extremely high performance and secure. Open DNS won't fix your mail relaying issues but it will secure you from DNS high jacking. Folks having issues with comcast mail might consider another free or pay mail provider.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Charles LaPierre" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>