[gps-talkusers] Re: Repeat commands and user POIs

  • From: "Raul A. Gallegos" <raul@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:40:08 -0400

Hi. As others have said, creating user POIs is completely subjective. During this last winter I created a user POI for an area of a near by sidewalk which was icy most of the winter. Once it melted away for good, I removed the POI. Creating a POI for low-hanging trees, weird sidewalks, ETC, is productive to many people, but again, it's highly a matter of personal taste.

As for multiple repeat commands. If I'm going out for a stroll to get exercise, I'll enable heading, speed, and distance traveled to repeat every 45 to 60 seconds. If I'm walking in a new area, I might enable next intersection in addition to heading and speed. Again, it depends on your particular situation and why we allow you to enable or disable many features.

One of the newer features which will be available in the next release of SenseNav is the ability to turn off or on verbose prompts. So, for example if you press the g command to hear gps status, when verbose prompts are on, you will hear what you currently hear, "gps accuracy: bla" And if you turn them off, you will just hear "bla".

Many thanks.

Eric Brinkman said the following on 7/30/2008 12:15 AM:
On the few occasions when I've tried using my sense nav in an unfamiliar area, I never used any of the auto-repeat commands. However I think for my trip to NYC I will try using them. I am curious what information others have repeated every 15 or 20 seconds in an unfamiliar area? What about a familiar area? Also, while I was listening to the Sendero tutorial, I noticed the instructor created a user POI when the sidewalk sloped down. It seems like creating a user POI for every change in the terrain or obsticle in the sidewalk would be counterproductive. When I'm on my college campus, I don't even use the GPS most of the time since it doesn't know the campus. How often do you create user POIs? Eric

--
Raul A. Gallegos -- GW Micro Technical Support
Voice: 260-489-3671 -- Fax: 260-489-2608