[gps-talkusers] Re: Recording Routes:

  • From: Charles La Pierre <lapierre@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gps-talkusers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 08:51:41 -0700

I spent a lot of time working with improving route calculations.
In version 2 I would say that finding a route was failing about 30-40 % of
the time but with version 3 I would say that's down to about 1% now.  The
reason why the 1% is probably one of four reasons.  One, there is no way to
get to that street from where you currently are (i.e. on an island with no
bridge to get you there.)  Two, the road is not navigable according to the
map data.  Three, your origin or destination is on a highway and you are
trying to create a pedestrian route, or the only way to get to your
destination is via a highway and you are trying to create a pedestrian
route.  Finally there is a bug in the software which I have yet to find.

I also hope Mary that the improved route finding of version 3.0 will fix
your problems.
Charles.

At 10:32 AM 7/11/2004, you wrote:
>Well Ann, I'd simply erase the route which can be done through the file
>manager just like a word document.
>Have you ever considered using the repeat intersections setting? That is
>what I use and ithas put this gps on a different plane since I discovered
>this method in January.
>The Automatic pedestrian route has been next to useless in my case. I have
>never been able to make a route with it. But what you could do and this may
>be a bit of work is take a tape recorder and record the route and then re
>enter it when you are outside.
>This takes some doing but if you have memorized most of it then it shouldn't
>be hard.
>I do hope they have improved the pedestrian routing function in the next
>version because I got into a pickle about a month ago and never could make a
>route to my house.
>To make an extremely boring story short the way I got home finally after 2
>hours was to set my home as a destination and use that in the repeat mode in
>the getting warmer method.
>I will tell the story some other time because the intersection which tripped
>me up is an interesting configuration.
>
>Mary Ellen Earls
>Remember! Today is the Tomorrow you thought about yesterday.

Charles M. La Pierre CTO
Sendero Group, LLC

Lat. 37 15' 25" N  Lon: 121 53' 04" W